BUSM vs OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwillseeyounow

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve been accepted to OHSU and Boston University and I’m having a difficult time making my mind up. I’m OOS for both schools.

BU
Pros
  • Love their mission and work with marginalized populations
  • Love the city of Boston, even its winters
  • Research opportunities abound with all the nearby universities

Cons
  • Boston is crazy expensive
  • It’s my understanding they’re rolling out or fully implementing a brand new curriculum (or maybe they did with the previous class). Unsure how that will play out with being the first or second class to try it out, but also not really concerned about it. Pretty flexible.

OHSU
Pros
  • The campus itself is beautiful as is the city of Portland
  • Important regional research institution
  • Major and only level 1 trauma center in the state

Cons
  • Not interested in primary care (right now)
  • Rainy all the time except for a few months
Summary: Not that many important cons to me for either one, which makes this conflicting. I care about student happiness, satisfaction, and a student culture of support. Furthermore, it’s my dream to match at a Boston hospital (MGH/BI/Brigham), so I’m unsure whether being in the city actually provides an advantage for those hospitals or in general.

Edit: Not committing either way right now. Will also be visiting the schools. I’m just trying to get some thoughts on both of these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

If you know you want to be in Boston, go to Boston. You'll never get a better opportunity to match in Boston than by going to med school there.

Reactions: 1 users
There are actually two level 1 trauma centers in Portland, the other is Legacy Emmanuel. This is one of the only burn centers between Seattle and Sacremento.