But what about fellowships? - Long Distance

Started by love24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

love24

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new here, but my best effort search hasn't yielded any posts on this subject, despite the many posts on long distance relationships. I'm in a very serious relationship with a wonderful 3rd year med student, and was hoping for some advice.

He and I have known each other for years, but have been in a relationship for about a year now, during which time we've had to live a few hours apart due to school. It's hard being apart, but we've both worked very hard to take advantage of what time we have. Next year, though, I will begin working as a short plane flight from the area where he will likely end up doing his residency. He is very supportive of my career, and I support his; the upside is that we both have to study and work a lot.

If it were just a matter of those four years (4th year of school, 3 years of residency) of course, I would seriously consider and moving to be with him, even though my field does not allow for a lot of geographic flexibility. He would consider residencies in my area, but there are none. The problem is that he hopes to do a fellowship in a very competitive field after that, which could send him anywhere in the country. I would essentially have to give up a promising career to move around with him.

To make a long story as short as possible, does anyone have any advice about how to handle the uncertainty of fellowship applications? Other threads have considered residency and LDRs, but I haven't found any that deal with the problem of the added uncertainty of a fellowship match afterwards. I know that LDRs often don't work, but we very much want to try, and any advice on how to make it work would be appreciated!