Buying gold anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisinopril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just unloaded around 5K to buy gold bar and coins....any pharmacist here buying gold too? Price looks too cheap now regarding to inflation and money printing.

Members don't see this ad.

I just unloaded around 5K to buy gold bar and coins....any pharmacist here buying gold too? Price looks too cheap now regarding to inflation and money printing.

I can think of one...

Actually I'm buying miners.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't use the word "gold" or he will come. Awe too late!

I think gold and silver will further drop...but long term...you can't go wrong with it

Tomorrow's a freaky friday with the monthly jobs report psychodrama. With a ultradovish ECB and BoE statements and a poor jobs number you would figure gold would shoot up, but typically that's when the President's Working Group is managing the barometer. I'm hoping for a pullback in the miners on a low volume holiday.

What kinda gold bar/coin do you think the best kind? (easy to trade/sell with privacy...) Please PM me and tell me ...I am kinda new with gold investing...Thanks so much.

Inflation is low and has been for years...

At least it makes some sense to think about it nowadays. A few months ago when it as almost 1800, only complete tools were buying gold. I'm still never, ever going to invest in something that is so volatile. Again, its value is 100% determined by the whims of the mob. It's a shiny metal that sits there and profit is only created via the greater fool principle. It will eventually go back to a historical normal over time...and that is still well below what its selling for.

Inflation is low and has been for years...

Inflation is low based on news, and papers. In reality, it isn't low. I bought subway 1 foot long for 7 bucks. It was 5 bucks in 2009. Do the math. Also, look at gas price today. Look at milk price. Look at college tuition price....everything is marked up and you tell me we don't have inflation?

Inflation is low based on news, and papers. In reality, it isn't low. I bought subway 1 foot long for 7 bucks. It was 5 bucks in 2009. Do the math. Also, look at gas price today. Look at milk price. Look at college tuition price....everything is marked up and you tell me we don't have inflation?

The $5 foot long thing was a Subway marketing ploy. Tuition goes up because of an idiotic arms race. In fact, if you google it, you will see that people are up in arms over how much more tuition has risen in relation to real inflation. Milk hasn't really gone up that much. And gas has increased mostly due to the emergence of China/India.

Inflation is incredibly low. Its because the economy is depressed. Without a period of economic expansion, there won't be any real inflation. That's how it works. We should be hoping for inflation. But if the economy starts to roll, you'll want to be way out of gold and into actual productive investments.

The actual numbers are incredibly low. If the economy doesn't pick up, we may very well start seeing serious deflation.

You can't look at one product's price changes and determine inflation from that. Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, remember? This is why a basket of goods like what the Fed uses makes the most sense.

Things like gas and milk are naturally very volatile to begin with due to greater variability in supply and demand. Tuition can be explained by the silly unlimited, no questions asked subsidy program that the Federal government has been running for years.

The $5 foot long thing was a Subway marketing ploy. Tuition goes up because of an idiotic arms race. In fact, if you google it, you will see that people are up in arms over how much more tuition has risen in relation to real inflation. Milk hasn't really gone up that much. And gas has increased mostly due to the emergence of China/India.

Inflation is incredibly low. Its because the economy is depressed. Without a period of economic expansion, there won't be any real inflation. That's how it works. We should be hoping for inflation. But if the economy starts to roll, you'll want to be way out of gold and into actual productive investments.

The actual numbers are incredibly low. If the economy doesn't pick up, we may very well start seeing serious deflation.

While I agree with parts of your above statements, here are the following keypoints to know:
1. Inflation is low (reportedly) because feds keep interest rate superlow. (don't know how long fed can do this...)
2. You can still have high inflation with a depressed economy. For example, "In 1922, inflation in Austria reached 1426%, and from 1914 to January 1923, the consumer price index rose by a factor of 11836". Economy was like crap during that period.
3. Economy isn't gonna pick up anytime soon unless we let the debt collapse. This is a phony recovery. There are so many people around that looking for jobs and losing jobs everyday.
4. Gold goes up not only due to inflation, but in response to war, disaster, etc...lots of factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree with parts of your above statements, here are the following keypoints to know:
1. Inflation is low (reportedly) because feds keep interest rate superlow. (don't know how long fed can do this...)
2. You can still have high inflation with a depressed economy. For example, "In 1922, inflation in Austria reached 1426%, and from 1914 to January 1923, the consumer price index rose by a factor of 11836". Economy was like crap during that period.
3. Economy isn't gonna pick up anytime soon unless we let the debt collapse. This is a phony recovery. There are so many people around that looking for jobs and losing jobs everyday.
4. Gold goes up not only due to inflation, but in response to war, disaster, etc...lots of factors.

1. Low rates mean higher inflation. You have it backwards. That is why the Fed has kept them at virtually 0 and on top of that done QE. They should have done even more considering they haven't been meeting their 2% target, but I think political fears have stopped them.

2. You can have inflation with stagnation- I am surprised you didn't mention the stagflation of the 70s. Not sure what the hyperinflation of Austria has to do with it though.

3. You base this claim on what?

4. It also goes down. Like many other things. Gold is very volatile though- it can be relatively risky.

I am not against buying gold. I think it is a good hedge against the volatility of the stock market. However, I think gold will continue to drop.

This pdf might help with confusion about gold.

http://www.gotgoldreport.com/2013/06/stoeferle-in-gold-we-trust-2013-.html

Focus on page 7 Change in Inflation Rate vs. Change in Gold Price

page 15 Gold's Share of Total Financial Assets Currently at a Mere 0.5%

page 28 Negative Real Interest Rates as the Perfect Backdrop for Gold

page 32 Cantillon Effect Describes Uneven Distribution of Newly Created Money

page 37 The Pillars of Financial Repression

I've only gotten to this point of the 54 page pdf

Another good source is the thunder road report

http://www.johnbudden.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Dec-12-Thunder-Road..pdf

INFLATIONARY DEFLATION: creating a new bubble in money

Table of Contents

Executive summary 3
Investment strategy 6
Equities 6
Gold 8
Commodities 10
Government bonds 11
Housing/Real Estate 12
Introduction – a long wave framework 13
Current long wave – forming a new bubble 16
Why is the long wave useful for investors? 19
Detailed analysis of the Kondratieff long wave 23
Spring 28
Summer 31
Autumn 36
Winter 40
Winter phase of the current long wave 46
Part 1 – 2000-2012 46
Part 2 – the approaching wave of inflation in 2013-15 53
Transition to a new monetary system 67
Have you seen this man? 71

Wanna a good entry point for the stock market?

dow-gold-ratio-1900-to-2009.png

you just caught a falling knife my friend. everyone unloaded gold months/years ago.

lol USD is crushing gold.

Here's a present from Bo Polny.

clip_image0046.jpg

I won't be convinced until we get above 1400. If Citi, DeutcheBank, or Barclays go under then everything will spike down for a few days.

Here's a present from Bo Polny.

clip_image0046.jpg

I won't be convinced until we get above 1400. If Citi, DeutcheBank, or Barclays go under then everything will spike down for a few days.

He has an @aol.com address, lol

Automatically loses credibility