Technology Buying Mac + PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singularity2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to purchase a new Mac laptop for med school and am considering purchasing a PC laptop as well. I hate PCs but will go through with buying one in addition to the Mac if it is necessary for certain programs in the curriculum.

There have been threads about this before, but I can't seem to find a straight answer without all the Mac vs. PC talk. So my question is, will a Mac (plus the program that allows you to run Windows) alone suffice for all 4 years of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need both. The Mac comes with bootcamp which allows you to install windows on a seperate partition. Basically, you can install Windows on your mac and switch back between the two if you need to use windows for some reason.

Link here to Boot Camp: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Just buy an iMac desktop and carry around your old windows laptop that's been formatted and has only the necessary med school-related programs on it.

If need be you can load Windows on your iMac. :thumbup:

Here in medschool already. best advice is to buy one (sounds like you should get a Mac) and wait and see if its actually necessary to buy the other. I bought a bunch of **** I dont need, and i wish that i waited, in retrospect.

Just buy a Macbook sometime in the summer to get the free iPod and printer. You probably won't even need Windows, but if you do, then you can solve that problem at a later date.

no idea if you need it for med school classes but....

another take on it: for classes in undergrad when i needed it for certain PC only programs, you can also run it through Virtual PC. you can probably find it online somewhere to download. basically, it lets you run windows WITHIN the Mac operating system, so you don't have to switch back and forth between bootcamp and leopard.

cons are basically that it's not very fast, but it should be no problem w/ how powerful macs are today. i hear you can't play games or wahtever on it, which you probably won't anyway haha, but it should be fine for whatever program you have to run

EDIT: while i'm at it, there's another program called "CrossOver" that allows you to run PC programs within Leopard without running Windows. it basically simulates the minimal essentials of windows that allows each program to run. it works pretty well and is quite fast

Last edited:
no idea if you need it for med school classes but....

another take on it: for classes in undergrad when i needed it for certain PC only programs, you can also run it through Virtual PC. you can probably find it online somewhere to download. basically, it lets you run windows WITHIN the Mac operating system, so you don't have to switch back and forth between bootcamp and leopard.

cons are basically that it's not very fast, but it should be no problem w/ how powerful macs are today. i hear you can't play games or wahtever on it, which you probably won't anyway haha, but it should be fine for whatever program you have to run

Virtual PC is extremely old and was designed for PPC Macs. In fact, Microsoft bought out the company a few years ago. Now that Macs are Intel bootcamp is the best solution because it is a native machine. The newer programs to run Windows within the Mac OS are Parallels and VMWare Fusion.

Virtual PC is extremely old and was designed for PPC Macs. In fact, Microsoft bought out the company a few years ago. Now that Macs are Intel bootcamp is the best solution because it is a native machine. The newer programs to run Windows within the Mac OS are Parallels and VMWare Fusion.

Oops sorry I meant Parallels, that's the one I have. But yeah, point being that I don't like to reboot just to run a windows app so parallels works well for those cases.