buying podiatry practices for VS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rezin385

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any thoughts on buying podiatry practices? My thoughts are you would be able to increase referrals to your VS group to utilize your outpatient angio suite. Or quickly and aggressively push into a new area.. Stark laws wouldn't be a problem as the podiatrists could be a part of your VS group. I have several podiatry friends that say they are buying up practices that are grossing 250k a year and are hiring jr podiatrists for 150k a year. Seems like a win win.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your podiatry practice is grossing 250k a year that is one in deep, deep trouble. I'd be worried they aren't seeing enough people to make the referrals worth it. A good performing practice will be around the 1 million gross mark. Figure about 60% overhead if it's good.

Also, I am a big fan of buying podiatry practices, because I am a podiatrist. Your ideas sound pretty good though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If your podiatry practice is grossing 250k a year that is one in deep, deep trouble. I'd be worried they aren't seeing enough people to make the referrals worth it. A good performing practice will be around the 1 million gross mark. Figure about 60% overhead if it's good.

Also, I am a big fan of buying podiatry practices, because I am a podiatrist. Your ideas sound pretty good though.
Thanks for your thoughts. I probably have the terms incorrect. Netting 250k maybe. Either way they are all excited to buy just as you are :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think in general collaboration between podiatry and VS is a very good thing for limb salvage and is really a win/win. We can be totally complementary in care. Honestly, they fight for toes much more than I do and are great at wound care and general maintenance.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your thoughts. I probably have the terms incorrect. Netting 250k maybe. Either way they are all excited to buy just as you are :)
Even netting $250K a year is a struggling practice.

But nonetheless, even if your numbers are off, as noted above its a natural relationship and could be a win-win for both.

I could even see a "super group" with Pod, Ortho, Vascular and PRS.

Reactions: 1 user
Even netting $250K a year is a struggling practice.

But nonetheless, even if your numbers are off, as noted above its a natural relationship and could be a win-win for both.

I could even see a "super group" with Pod, Ortho, Vascular and PRS.
This is what I am trying to create right now. We have vascular, PRS, and Ortho thus far. :clap:

Planning to have a multi disciplinary limb salvage conference.

Reactions: 1 users
Why can't the podiatrist buy the vascular practice? Podiatrists have their own TV shows these days.

Might be advantageous too for any legal suits that would follow, but not sure about that. I've been practicing under the FTCA for like 6 years.

But I think we all know that when diabetics start losing appendages they blame everyone but themselves.

I think in general collaboration between podiatry and VS is a very good thing for limb salvage and is really a win/win. We can be totally complementary in care. Honestly, they fight for toes much more than I do and are great at wound care and general maintenance.

This is spot on. My patience with foot wounds is toe amp, TMA, BKA/AKA. That's it. I don't have the patience for multiple take backs and exploring the different fascial planes in the foot and ankle. I also don't have the training for the fancier amps beyond a TMA. I don't skin graft. I'm first a Storm Trooper shooting off little piggies and if that fails I become Darth Vader with a motherf***ing light saber and a gorgeous BKA/AKA will come afterwards.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users