Buying Uniforms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm now stocking up on items for residency, and new/additional uniforms top the list. Right now I own two pairs of kakhis, no aquaflage, and one each of the other uniforms (except for that one with the gold braiding, I want to know where you get that). So, questions:

1) Where I matched the uniform of the day is aquaflage on the wards. So: how many is enough? Is it worth the expense to have six Navy Working Uniforms so that I can have a fresh change of clothes every day, or should I just get 3 and stretch them out for two days a piece?

2) Clinic, I think, is in Kakhis. Should I try to make my two pairs of kakhis last for an entire week of clinic, or should I get a third pair? I know I'm not doing a midweek laundry

3) I have seen people wearing backpacks with the Navy Working uniform. Is that actually legal or is it just one of those things that people do anyway? If it is legal,
are there any regulations for the backpack?

4) What is your opinion on the NWU boots: suede or not suede? Also is the $250 upgrade of the boot worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with Tired. I like calling them Blueberries.

3 sets max

Backpack -OK if black and worn over both shoulders.

Cheap boots are OK.

Khakis or SDBs are almost always an acceptable alternate, you should be able to wear them too.

I'm lucky if my uniform gets washed once a week :)

Need at least 2 khakis. 2 sets of insignia / ribbons is nice.

Backpacks may be blue or black without big symbols (actually any per the Regs, but good luck finding that) and may be worn over the left shoulder or both shoulders or carried in left hand. Tradition would say hand carry only in dress uniforms.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I would buy at least 2 pair of Blammies and two sets of khakis. You will definitely need a set, but the only times you show up for work in SDBs is (1) you are checking in for the first time or (2) you are going to give a presentation or talk, ala, Grand Rounds. Wearing SDBs to work everyday would be, well, just plain weird.

Boots: I have a "non-issue" pair. Any pair of black leather 8" (or is it 9"?) boots is okay.

Last edited:
I would buy at least 2 pair of Blammies and two sets of khakis. You will definitely need a set, but the only times you show up for work in SDBs is (1) you are checking in for the first time or (2) you are going to give a presentation or talk, ala, Grand Rounds. Wearing SDBs to work everyday would be, well, just plain weird.

Boots: I have a "non-issue" pair. Any pair of black leather 8" (or is it 9"?) boots is okay.

(Geezing) Used to be, inside the Beltway, SDBs were the only acceptable uniform for the winter. Not the case now. I will frequently wear SDBs with the sweater. Very comfortable and looks professional.

You won't catch me dead in Blueberries, though.

(Geezing) I will frequently wear SDBs with the sweater. Very comfortable and looks professional.

I wonder if I will get back into that whole "looking professional" after residency is over this year. A pair of scrubs and a dirty lab coat is more my speed right now. I think its the sleep deprivation. :shifty:

3) I have seen people wearing backpacks with the Navy Working uniform. Is that actually legal or is it just one of those things that people do anyway? If it is legal,
are there any regulations for the backpack?

If you wear a backpack with your khakis, it must be all black (and the same backpack can be worn with your NWUs . . .I think . . . nobody expects you to have a backpack for each uniform). So I'd advise getting an all black one. I just got this one by CamelBak: http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Urban-Assault-XL-Black/dp/B004LT4NF4/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1
Its very good, very spacious, hold my computer + books.

Go to an Exchange and look for a Sanpiper of California (SOC) Three Day Pass or Bug Out Bag in Black. They are $50 and $60 in AAFES, respectively (I'd imagine the same for NEX/MCEX) and both have ample room, the former with tons of pockets and the latter with multiple big compartments and compression straps. The B.O.B. works great as a bag for few-day trips as a carry-on airline bag. Both hydration compatible. Way cheaper than Camelbaks (I have one of them, too. Older model, but my SOC bag is better made)