Army Uniforms at USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washhyyy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My roommate is an active duty army nurse and I will be starting at USUHS this coming fall. We've been talking about the new AGSU and whether it is best to wait until closer to the mandatory purchase date (10/2027) or if I should just purchase it when I commision.

I'm sure I'll hear more about this the closer I get to DCC, but I was wondering if anyone here has any insight. Also, everything I have seen online calls the AGSU "a uniform for everyday business"... Does this mean that the AGSU will be our attire when attending class at USUHS, or will we wear the ACU?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the AGSU is the equivalent of our khakis, you will wear them once a week during foundations for interviewing, then that’s basically it. You wear cammies for everything else and PTs for physical exam.

If the AGSU is like a dress uniform, then you won’t wear that at all except at graduation and residency interviewing.

Also if the mando purchase date isn’t until 2027, don’t buy it now.

Reactions: 1 users
Man those look way cooler than whatever the Army used to have I would buy them now

Members don't see this ad :)
Man those look way cooler than whatever the Army used to have I would buy them now

Except you'll only wear them like once or twice, and for the major things you'll wear dress uniforms for like graduation, you'll end up having to buy the old ones anyway because the new ones won't be mandatory and they will want everyone to be uniform.

Except you'll only wear them like once or twice, and for the major things you'll wear dress uniforms for like graduation, you'll end up having to buy the old ones anyway because the new ones won't be mandatory and they will want everyone to be uniform.
I only wore my service alphas like 2 or 3 times after bootamp. That's just the nature of some uniforms. While this roll out is going till 2027 they are issuing to recruits starting this year. I suspect no later than 2025 this will end up being the more common uniform.

I only wore my service alphas like 2 or 3 times after bootamp. That's just the nature of some uniforms. While this roll out is going till 2027 they are issuing to recruits starting this year. I suspect no later than 2025 this will end up being the more common uniform.

If it isn't mandatory wear, they can't make you buy it. So in group events like graduation, where they can't force you to buy the new uniform, they will require everyone to wear the only uniform you're required to have.

If it isn't mandatory wear, they can't make you buy it. So in group events like graduation, where they can't force you to buy the new uniform, they will require everyone to wear the only uniform you're required to have.
Look I don't know why you are splitting hairs w/ me I just said they looked cool and you will probably need them eventually as they will be mandatory during your service obligation.

Look I don't know why you are splitting hairs w/ me I just said they looked cool and you will probably need them eventually as they will be mandatory during your service obligation.

I’m not splitting hairs. I said there’s no point in spending what is probably several hundred dollars for a uniform you’re not likely to wear. Just my opinion, and I want to make it clear to the OP that it’s very unlikely they’d even get to wear it at graduation if the mando wear date isn’t until 2027. That’s important to know since that’s really one of the only reasons someone might buy it.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Matthew. Mando date 2027? Buy in 2027.

Good luck even getting the AGSU. I live near a major base and you can't find all of the uniform in stock ever.

Marlow White never has it all in stock for the commissioning packages due to COVID shortages.

I will be rocking my old blue and black ASU's until they come in and I am fine with that. I don't feel like dropping another 700-800 bucks on a uniform I will wear once a year if I am lucky.

Good luck even getting the AGSU. I live near a major base and you can't find all of the uniform in stock ever.

Marlow White never has it all in stock for the commissioning packages due to COVID shortages.

I will be rocking my old blue and black ASU's until they come in and I am fine with that. I don't feel like dropping another 700-800 bucks on a uniform I will wear once a year if I am lucky.

I got mine from MW. I was able to get the whole bundle except the shoes. The floppy hat is also hard to get ahold of right now.

Reactions: 1 user