C- in Gen Chem 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I made a C- in Gen Chem 1 and a B in Gen Chem 2. Do I have to retake Gen Chem 1? Is a C- a C? I am applying to schools and it says that a minimum of a "C" is required. So I was just wondering is a C- considered a "C" or should I just retake the stupid class over?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
retake it...that's pretty bad for a requirement.

a C- will not count towards a requirement for most schools. Don't you have to get a least a C to even get into Chem II?? Sorry, I would retake it no question

yeah if thats the requirement you gotta take it again bro....

C- does not equal a C

yup, looks like you'll be balancing acid/base equations again.

I got a C- in Orgo II and did not retake it. I had extenuating circumstances that semester - a very traumatic issue to deal with. I wrote my AMCAS essay about the issue and "subtly" mentioned that it caused my grades to drop that semester. On interviews, I emphasized that my other grades are more reflective of my academic ability. I am sure it hurt me with a bunch of schools that rejected me pre-interview, but I got into my #1 choice.

If you can make a good argument that your C- is an anomaly, and that there is a good reason that you bombed the class (ie death or illness in the family, not just slacking off), then you should be ok. It can't hurt to retake it though.

Good luck!

huh, I got a C in Chem 1, a D in Chem 2, retook Chem 2 and got a B. I'm really not to worried about it since it was in my freshman year. Just keep a positive grade trend from now on.

I would drop your advisor or the premed advisor at your school an email about this...I always thought that C-'s did equal C's and were acceptable...

Members don't see this ad :)
thats what my advisor told me. see I transferred schools I made a C- but on my transcript at my new school it says "C" My advisor told me at my other school where I got the grade that I did not have to retake it.

If there is any question in your mind convert a C- into it's grade point equivilent.

C- = 1.667

Do you feel comfortable applying to medical school with that kind of grade in a required science course?

I also got a C- in Gen Chem II my freshman year, way back in '96. As a post-bac I have received all A's in all pre-reqs. Instead of shelling out money to retake the Chem class, I took Biochemistry and did well. What do people think about this? Can Adcoms forgive such a youthful indiscretion if an upward trend is clear? Also, the schools I'm looking at don't mention the "nothing less than a C is acceptable" rule. To which schools are you referring?

Do you feel comfortable applying to medical school with that kind of grade in a required science course?

Disagree. It's gen chem. Probably taken at the beginning of the kid's college career. It's a C-. It isn't going to make an ounce of difference if there's an upward trend, A's in upper division, good MCAT, blah blah blah.

Thank goodness. I'm tired of that blasted class haunting me forever and ever. I had to get special permission from the Chair of the Chem dept to let me take Organic. (for those who are wondering how in the world I was ever able to register for Orgo).

I got a C- in gen chem II, and I didn't retake it. However, I had to take analytical chem as part of my major, and it was basically gen chem III: fun with the henderson-hasselbach equation. I did alright in that class and didn't retake gen chem.

My best advice would be to call around and ask schools if you need to retake it, but I don't see it being too much of a problem especially if your grades have improved since then. I had a whole string of Cs in chemistry on my transcript, and didn't retake every class.

Best of luck to you. :)

Hi there,

Since last posting, I've been emailing various schools and am currently awaiting responses...It will take awhile to hear from everybody, but thus far, I've been okay'd by the following:

Albany
Loyola
Southern Illinois University
Rush

Thanks for your replies!

I also got some C's as well. And a c-. I am hoping that with higher grades in upper level courses and a high mcat that can make up for my freshman mistakes.

Well I started college the summer I graduated high school and attendend in the Fall. I couldnt go in the spring because of financial reasons and then I went back in the summer and took classes. I have 31 credits from that school. I transferred and Im taking Ochem 1 and doing fairly well. I checked with my premed advisor and my school is offering an online Gen Chem 1 class this summer should I just retake it? I feel like Im wasting my money because I know all of it. But my premed advisor is harping on me to take it because she says I cant get into med school with a C- in Gen Chem. She gets on my nerves.

I say that if finances are a reason, like they were with me, knock our your prerequisites, take the MCAT and blow it out of the water, and THEN take gen chem if you're weak on GPA and MCAT. Pre-med advisors panic if they see "holes" in your application.

Originally posted by bubbajones
Well I started college the summer I graduated high school and attendend in the Fall. I couldnt go in the spring because of financial reasons and then I went back in the summer and took classes. I have 31 credits from that school. I transferred and Im taking Ochem 1 and doing fairly well. I checked with my premed advisor and my school is offering an online Gen Chem 1 class this summer should I just retake it? I feel like Im wasting my money because I know all of it. But my premed advisor is harping on me to take it because she says I cant get into med school with a C- in Gen Chem. She gets on my nerves.

A lot of med schools don't accept online courses. I would check with the school your interested in so you don't waste your money.