C in Med School Pre-requisite Class Ruin my chances for MD School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so right now I can't even sleep because I'm extremely stressed, worried, and sad that I'm getting a C in General Chemistry 2 at a community college....I already took the "W" and withdrew from my second semester "HONORS" Chemistry 2 course at a university that isn't competitive....

I feel horrible, depressed, stupid, and just discouraged because I didn't know chemistry 2 was that hard...Both times the teachers were difficult and I did bad on exams especially chemistry multiple choice...I feel like my life is ruined since my main goal was to get into an allopathic medical school and now my chances are gone.

I know in interviews, they will ask about the "W" and "C" but I feel like I won't even get an interview based on my GPA after this...since although the "C" won't affect my university GPA, it will count when I apply to medical schools...with AMCAS.

I feel stupid because it was a community college and the teacher was really hard and maybe I'm just stupid:/ and not smart enough to become a doctor...but I don't think intelligence should be as important as passion, dedication, and I'm just about to cry now...so I'm going to stop:(

Members don't see this ad.

I know the feeling of getting a bad grade in a prereq class, but I promise you it's not the end of the world. Sometimes you just get a tough teacher, don't do well on the wrong days, or a number of other things. If being a doctor is what you really want to do, you'll find a way.

Assuming you've done pretty well in your other science classes, just make sure you take some higher level classes that demonstrate your mastery of the fundamental things you learned in general chemistry. Obviously organic chem will be a big one, and perhaps biochem as well. Biochem is actually required by many schools, or at least very strongly recommended, so if you do well in those things you should be just fine.

Don't get so down on yourself though. It sounds like you need to work on managing your stress, if anything. I got a 2.4 in an o chem class and it sucked, and made me frustrated and worried, but we have to be able to move on. In the grand scheme of things we're all persevering toward a highly stressful career and if we can't deal with our current challenges in a level-headed way, we should take that as a cue that something needs to change.

Just stick with it and work even harder in your future classes! One bad grade (or two) in a class is definitely not a deal-breaker.

:(

First, take a deep breath…

Second, take another deep breath…

Look at the big picture. Chemistry is a tough class. If people could breeze through it, then we would have a lot more doctors running around and a lot more pre med school applicants with > 3.6 GPAs. Obviously the C hurts the GPA, but how is the GPA otherwise?

You are defintley not the first person to get a C in General Chem. And there have been many people admitted to allo schools that have a C somewhere on thier transcript (maybe not here in SDN land, but in the real world). Your job is to keep the rest of your GPA in top shape, and get a tutor for chemistry. The tutor will be usefull in passing general chem as well as preparing for the MCAT.

Theroretically, if you are in general Chem 2, then you probably (hopefully) only have two more pre-reqs in Organic Chem 1&2. Thats only two more classes! TWO classes stand in the way between you and your dream (and of course, the dreaded MCAT, but you already know that ;)). Buckle down and put your nose to the grind. YOU CAN DO THIS!

:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
YES BUT THAT C RUINED MY CHANCE ALREADY?!!!!

MOST MED SCHOOLS WILL NOW AUTOMATICALLY REJECT ME BECAUSE THEY LIKE TO SEE A'S AND B'S IN PRE-REQS ESPECIALLY...

I don't know I guess I'm relaxed as I type this and my breathing is fine, but in the end, I just feel like a depressed fool who dreamed big and realized he was nothing but average:/

Doctors need to be smart too, it can't all be luck, hard work, and dedication.

:(

First, take a deep breath…

Second, take another deep breath…

Look at the big picture. Chemistry is a tough class. If people could breeze through it, then we would have a lot more doctors running around and a lot more pre med school applicants with > 3.6 GPAs. Obviously the C hurts the GPA, but how is the GPA otherwise?

You are defintley not the first person to get a C in General Chem. And there have been many people admitted to allo schools that have a C somewhere on thier transcript (maybe not here in SDN land, but in the real world). Your job is to keep the rest of your GPA in top shape, and get a tutor for chemistry. The tutor will be usefull in passing general chem as well as preparing for the MCAT.

Theroretically, if you are in general Chem 2, then you probably (hopefully) only have two more pre-reqs in Organic Chem 1&2. Thats only two more classes! TWO classes stand in the way between you and your dream (and of course, the dreaded MCAT, but you already know that ;)). Buckle down and put your nose to the grind. YOU CAN DO THIS!

:luck:

Biochemistry is usually recommended by most medical schools and required by some. A 'C' on an otherwise decent application won't hurt your chances. If you make getting a 'C' a habit, it could destroy your chances, but that doesn't sound like it's the case. Buckle down, keep your chin up, stay passionate about medicine, and where there's a will there's a way [that's a lot of cliches in one sentence, lol].

Good luck!

Don't feel discouraged or stupid. I know it can be disheartening, but it happens to the best of us. What do you think went wrong? What particular section are you studying in general chemistry? What aspect of it do you find troubling?

You know, although most people say organic is harder than general chem, I think it is quite the opposite. If you recall most of the periodic trends you learn in general I and are a visual/spatial kind of person, you might actually like organic better. There are virtually no calculations in organic save one for optical rotation.

Don't give up. Have hope and faith in yourself. How far into the class are you?

Don't feel discouraged or stupid. I know it can be disheartening, but it happens to the best of us. What do you think went wrong? What particular section are you studying in general chemistry? What aspect of it do you find troubling?

You know, although most people say organic is harder than general chem, I think it is quite the opposite. If you recall most of the periodic trends you learn in general I and are a visual/spatial kind of person, you might actually like organic better. There are virtually no calculations in organic save one for optical rotation.

Don't give up. Have hope and faith in yourself. How far into the class are you?
I thought you were RxJenn?? :confused:

You must have a twin. ;)

I agree with Hoody.. if you are still in the class, try to find a private tutor who can help you with the material - this will help tremendously. Go to office hours and ask your professor for help with the areas that are giving you trouble.

Most of all, don't let it get you too discouraged. Remember, medical schools like people who have bounced back when they have encountered problems! :thumbup:

I can relate. Sure, you want to go into that corner and cry, but doing that isn't going to help if it makes you even more upset. I'm not mocking you, but this is actually how I feel right now :p. I just finished my freshman year of college, and I earned 2 Cs and a C+ in genchem, failed engineering math, was advised to take a different version of that same math class even though I wanted to take the shortest (and easiest version) of it because I knew that math is not my forte. I also did poorly the second time (well, a D) -_-.

I found out later the adviser gave me wrong advice, and there is nothing my university can do about it, so now I'm taking the math class I was originally supposed to take and doing fine (which leads me to wonder how I'm going to explain this to adcoms when they see I took three versions of the same math class?). It was definitely an FML moment, since I'm paying for this class out of my pocket over the summer.

It's not that I didn't study, but the transition between studying and studying efficiently didn't hit me until my arrival to college, thus kicking me in the ass. Life also threw me many curveballs, ones that I had a hard time dealing with. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes, and even though this is probably a major setback for myself, a learning experience was bound to happen.

I hate telling this about myself because it feels like I'm complaining and it's really long and drawn out, but I figured it would make you (and me) feel better about your one C. General chem is a tough one, so don't fret.

If you want something, you will find a way of getting to it. Take the day to yourself and reflect on what happened. Relax, destress, play the guitar, smash some zombies, etc. It'll help. :)

Remember, only the hopeless are helpless.

I have my TEST 3 tomorrow afternoon:/ God save me, I think I'm getting a B or C on this test...I'll let you know how it goes....

My final exam is on Thursday coming this week!!!! It's very hard and so far my test average is 65, but with labs, homework, and not including the final exam and test 3...I should bring it up to a C according to the teacher:/

I wanted an A or B so badly since I got the W....I hate chemistry 2 with a passion that's as great as my passion for medicine and my passion for my future girlfriend haha

I cannot relax until Thursday evening:/ I am scared, frustrated, and just plain apathetic right now, which is why I'm on SDN when I should be studying....

I feel like I already got the C, so I'm giving up....THIS WHOLE SUMMER CLASS WAS A BIG FML MOMENT as my parents are telling me you should have worked harder and blah blah....

....I hate chemistry 2 with a passion that's as great as my passion for medicine and my passion for my future girlfriend haha

:laugh::laugh:

Yeah, ugh. I'm taking bio right now, and the professor isn't curving the class. WTF, the average after two midterms was 50%. I also have my finals this week on Friday (math and bio back-to-back). I'm trying to start early which is now, but... my stress and anxiety isn't helping after I failed the last bio exam, so here's to hoping I'll ace both finals.

You can do it! Good luck tomorrow. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my TEST 3 tomorrow afternoon:/ God save me, I think I'm getting a B or C on this test...I'll let you know how it goes....

My final exam is on Thursday coming this week!!!! It's very hard and so far my test average is 65, but with labs, homework, and not including the final exam and test 3...I should bring it up to a C according to the teacher:/

I wanted an A or B so badly since I got the W....I hate chemistry 2 with a passion that's as great as my passion for medicine and my passion for my future girlfriend haha

Dude, I figured you were done with the quarter.

Get off SDN, resume studying for your exam tomorrow until you fall asleep, and then talk to your instructor as soon as possible to ask him what you can do to improve your performance in his class. And get a tutor or something. I've never had the money for one, but if you do, go for it. If you don't, find some people to study with and work your ass off. An A on your final is not out of your reach, don't give up so easily.

I talked to the professor who hates me and he said your being lazy....When I'm just not that smart...I feel like he wants to give me the C....I'm doing poorly because I mess up the chemistry 2 multiple choice sections-always fail them. I get the basic concepts but not when they are twisted, complicated, and confusing on the exam like weird conversions, multi-step problems are tricky!!!! Back to studying:)

I talked to the professor who hates me and he said your being lazy....When I'm just not that smart...I feel like he wants to give me the C....I'm doing poorly because I mess up the chemistry 2 multiple choice sections-always fail them. I get the basic concepts but not when they are twisted, complicated, and confusing on the exam like weird conversions, multi-step problems are tricky!!!! Back to studying:)

Well that's unfortunate if he doesn't like you, but it's no excuse. He can want to give you a C all he wants, but if you earn a B he's going to give you a B. So go earn it.

Try your best to get the C though. You can always retake in the fall, during regular term. W = not so bed, as long as you dont have a trend. C = complete, not definitive of non acceptance but gives you a wake up call. D or F = non complete, still not definitive of non acceptance but stickies the situation. :eyebrow:

Finish the class now. Worry about what to do about the grade later.

Good luck. :xf:

it's still crazy, twisted, complicated multiple choice with tricky choices that require a deep understranding and thus I hate this course and the professor and my life this week...back to studying!

As always, one or two Cs will not ruin your chances. But I feel your pain. :bang:

no, you still have hope. Keep at it.

MOST MED SCHOOLS WILL NOW AUTOMATICALLY REJECT ME BECAUSE THEY LIKE TO SEE A'S AND B'S IN PRE-REQS ESPECIALLY...

No, it hasn't, and no, they don't. I had much worse than a single C in a prereq, and I managed to do alright in the process. Some schools even explicitly say they aren't concerned by one or two lower grades on classes (Columbia comes to mind here - although they do want you to explain any failing grades).

As others have said, you'll need to do something that shows you're capable of the material. Whether that's retaking the class (a C is borderline to retake it - some schools won't even let you retake a class if you got a C, and retaking probably isn't the right thing to do for you at this stage) or whether that's taking something higher, you'll have to show you're smart enough to cut it.

You might have to explain it in interviews, but I really doubt it. A single C is far from the kiss of death. As has already been said, redirect your energy toward studying and focus on what's ahead of you. Plenty of people have gotten into medical school with a C or two. I bet the number is a lot higher than you'd expect..

No, your chances are not ruined yet. Lay off the MCAT diagnostics and worrying and focus on your current classes on hand. Get from A to B first before worrying about getting from B to C. Sounds like this class is not over yet, so get off SDN and study hard for your remaining test(s). Don't throw the towel in yet

Alright I don't need need any consoling...in the end I know med school competition is fierce and super crazy with extremely talented people...Since so many people apply, I just assumed that people that had 3.8 GPA and higher would get interviews first and most would get accepted....that's what my adviser says....

Update: The test went well, I think I got an A or B, but I find out tomorrow for sure...

In the end I need to replace the F I got on the second test with my final exam, but the professor said the final exam is extremely tough....I'm worried, stressed, and feel like I wasted my WHOLE SUMMER if I get a C in chemistry....that's what my family told me:/

The average GPA for a medical school acceptance is about a 3.6-3.7...and therefore there are some people who get below that and are fine. So, push through for the final, and no matter what you get, just enjoy the rest of your summer and booze it up(or apple juice it up...whatever floats your boat)

I don't know I guess I'm relaxed as I type this and my breathing is fine, but in the end, I just feel like a depressed fool who dreamed big and realized he was nothing but average:/

Doctors need to be smart too, it can't all be luck, hard work, and dedication.

No. I had a D+ in one class and a few Cs, including one in o-chem. I later retook them for all A's, but all grades are visible per AMCAS. I didn't apply broadly the first time but I got an interview anyway. Getting an interview suggests to me that the grades did not kill my chances, though the upward trajectory likely helped. Not getting accepted the first time had to do with one of my interviews going badly, as at that stage GPA is a minor contributor to the points in the school in question.

Alright I don't need need any consoling...in the end I know med school competition is fierce and super crazy with extremely talented people...Since so many people apply, I just assumed that people that had 3.8 GPA and higher would get interviews first and most would get accepted....that's what my adviser says....

Of course there's a correlation, but that's way oversimplified. GPA is one of many contributors. Better to have a 3.5/30 and awesome extracurriculars than a 4.0/35 and lame extracurriculars.

There's at least one school I'm aware of that extends auto-invites to people with astronomically high stats, but it seemed to have more to do with MCAT > 37 than GPA.

Update: The test went well, I think I got an A or B, but I find out tomorrow for sure...

In the end I need to replace the F I got on the second test with my final exam, but the professor said the final exam is extremely tough....I'm worried, stressed, and feel like I wasted my WHOLE SUMMER if I get a C in chemistry....that's what my family told me:/

I think you need to find a way to relieve stress. If it were me, the best way to do that in this situation is to study diligently and take breaks that involve sex or working out.

You didn't waste the summer, you'll have passed a pre-requisite course. You didn't perform up to the pre-med standard but you've got the opportunity to put forth the necessary effort in the higher level science courses.

haha take breaks that involve sex or working out??? I do enjoy running a lot....but that gets me tired after to not study and sleep....

masturbation is immature yet sometimes I'm forced to "expel" just in order to fall asleep....

I mean in the end, I would love to have a hot girlfriend, but it's hard to date when there's so much studying to do:/

why do doctors love alcohol? like on Grey's when they all go to the bar after work? I mean sex and alcohol aren't the only ways to release endorphines, you can run, workout, eat foods like chocolate/spicy salsa...I mean why is alcohol so big?

I guess I'm very conservative but I'm very young and immature now so let's wait a few years until I'm ready for all the "fun"

haha take breaks that involve sex or working out??? I do enjoy running a lot....but that gets me tired after to not study and sleep....

masturbation is immature yet sometimes I'm forced to "expel" just in order to fall asleep....

I mean in the end, I would love to have a hot girlfriend, but it's hard to date when there's so much studying to do:/

Masturbation isn't immature, masturbation is natural. Masturbating in public would be immature, though.

why do doctors love alcohol? like on Grey's when they all go to the bar after work? I mean sex and alcohol aren't the only ways to release endorphines, you can run, workout, eat foods like chocolate/spicy salsa...I mean why is alcohol so big?

I guess I'm very conservative but I'm very young and immature now so let's wait a few years until I'm ready for all the "fun"

It's a way to cope with stress and a surefire way to relax your social inhibitions. I don't know that doctors particularly overindulge compared to some other professions notorious for their affinity for booze, like lawyers.

Personally I don't like being intoxicated, though I do like the taste of a few beers and mixed drinks.

Not sure where you get the idea that masturbation is immature. It's very healthy and a great way to relieve stress. I mean, if you find your study break activities cause you to not be able to study as much as you need, then you'd have to find new activities, but sometimes recharging will allow you to keep your sanity and be more efficient.

I don't know, I guess you'd have to be lucky and find a hot girl who likes to study a lot and you can take breaks together instead of go through some lame, formalized, dating ritual. lol... in the meantime masturbation is good, mmkay?:laugh:

Masturbation isn't immature, masturbation is natural. Masturbating in public would be immature, though.

But funny :D

Since so many people apply, I just assumed that people that had 3.8 GPA and higher would get interviews first and most would get accepted....that's what my adviser says....

Yeah, well, take EVERYTHING a pre-med advisor tells you with a grain of salt. I found the office at my undergrad to be... well... in the interest of kindness, let's just say I got my committee letter from them and my useful information from elsewhere. A few friends work for Kaplan/Princeton Review, and they attended conferences organized by and for pre-med advisors. The questions the advisors would ask made it clear that they are learning about this process just as much as the applicants are. Unless you've got a fifty-something stalwart pre-med advisor, you'll probably get more out of books and from current students/applicants.

Sure, statistically people with a 3.8 will have an easier shot at getting interviews. But it's far from absolute, and as KnuxNole as already said, with the average being around a 3.6, that means there's plenty of people who have below it.

There are also plenty of people with a 3.8 who don't get in anywhere. One of the most important pieces of advice that I heard, and one that way too many people DON'T follow to their detriment is, apply early. Early, early, early. It cannot be underestimated how much of a difference it makes, especially for schools with rolling admissions.

Good luck! :luck::thumbup:

I find out my grade in 3 hours...I'm very excited! haha

why do doctors love alcohol?

I don't think it's just doctors but

In my opinion, scientiest tend to be socially inept, myself included. I am somewhat stiff, liquor losens me up. Also negatively impacts my discretion (as well as everyone elses') which results in (1) telling of stories that would other wise not be disclosed, (2) being stupid at the place where the drinking is occurring, and places visited after. Both usually end with everyone at the table laughing and ordering another round. I think it also gives one the oppertunity to get some stuff off your chest.

my test average is a 64....I need to get a 90 or above on final to get the A or B in class:/

I feel stupid, apathetic, and just lazy now...I have lost all faith:(

I used to have faith in God for situations like this, but I don't know I'm really nervous, scared, and worried this time:(

At this point, I don't care about alcohol, sex, masturbation, whatever...my focus is getting the A or B, and I'm determined to get that damn grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point, I don't care about alcohol, sex, masturbation, whatever...my focus is getting the A or B, and I'm determined to get that damn grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you get on your test today? Get a grad student tutor or something. Nothing to be ashamed of, a few meetings got me an A in chem 2 with much less stress.

What did you get on your test today? Get a grad student tutor or something. Nothing to be ashamed of, a few meetings got me an A in chem 2 with much less stress.

Best advice I've seen in this thread. I had a professor tell me once, "the difference in an A and a C for most students is the presence of a set of balls." At first I thought he was being sexist but then he clarified. Balls isn't literal but referred to in the context of courage. When a student loses the pride and asks for help... that is, grows some balls... is generally when they go from an A to a C student.

The first step to recognizing there's a problem is admitting there's a problem. I've not seen or been to a university yet where there's less than enough resources to make any person succeed.

asking for help is hard....but that's how life works....and I'm learning that ego and pride are nothing.....my test average is a D, but if I do well on the final then the prof will replace the LOWEST test score (low D) to the new final exam score causing it to somehow get an A or B, so I don't need to retake the class in the fall, because that will suck a lot................

Do you ever go to office hours? Sometimes having that face to face discussion is way better than passively learning in class.

I think you should also try to pinpoint what you are missing in class. If you work on proficient studying skills, then you won't have as much of a struggle in your upper division classes (not to mention medical school).

One thing that you should definitely pick up from your undergrad courses is studying like a professional. When you go in to medical school, you will find that you have to jam even more concepts in your head in less amount of time, which really tests your studying skills.

As for your hopes of med school with a C in gen chem, don't stress about it too much. Too much stress is unproductive, as is too little stress. Focus on that upward curve in science classes just to show the med schools that you can handle the rigor and the analytical thinking.

Hey, I just thought I should mention something, because I remember that you (like me) are planning on graduating in 3 years instead of 4. Do you feel like you are maybe taking on too much at once by trying to graduate early? Instead of taking the summer off from school, or maybe doing too much stuff at once? I only ask because I'm not sure if this is why you may be getting a C in gen chem. If you think that could be why, I strongly suggest stretching out your graduation to 4 years instead. You wouldn't want to rush through and then not perform as well because of it. Just a thought

I feel your pain im in Gen chem 2 now its sooo boring and requires a lot of work, the labs are just too long and unintersting too, good luck

Like someone else said, chemistry is not necessarily an easy topic for everyone. It is manageable thought, maybe get a tutor. You still have chances at being a doctor.

haha I think I need to get off of SDN for the rest of summer, pray more, meditate, watch TV and enjoy the rest of summer because as of now I just had a car accident today and need to take it easy and forget about stress and just be a little kid again haha

good luck everyone and goodbye for a few weeks!