C in Organic Chemistry? application to medical school date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indiaberry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have currently got a C in organic chemistry at the private college. I am wondering if I take it over in the summer at the community college and get a A, would that make a different to medical school? I am upset about the C. I don't really know what to do.
Also, one more thing, if I plan to go to medical school in fall 2006, when will it be the best time for me to apply? How do I help myself to study for the MCAT? I have now until January 18 to study as much as I can for that.
I have change my major to biology for this fall. My question is, do medical school count only the GPA for the 4 required science classes (one year of biology, organic chemistry, general chemistry, and university physic)? Or do they really need more science classes than that? I asked because my university have a program for pre-med student, where we should take more science classes than the required above.
If my science gpa is a 2.65 now, how do I bring that up with the 17.5 credit classes I will be taking in the spring? How would the letter grade for the organic 5 credit, biology 4 credit, university physic 5 credit, and english 3 credit, and physical education .5 credit help me to bring that up..to what GPA?
My non-science gpa is a 3.68, mostly accounting and general education classes.
Would the C in organic chemistry hurt me by a lot in my admission to a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

indiaberry said:
I have currently got a C in organic chemistry at the private college. I am wondering if I take it over in the summer at the community college and get a A, would that make a different to medical school?

No, it won't. Showing you can ace an easier class doesn't make up for doing poorly in a harder one.

indiaberry said:
I am upset about the C. I don't really know what to do.

If you want to retake it, then retake it at your own school or one of comparable difficulty -- not a community college.

indiaberry said:
Also, one more thing, if I plan to go to medical school in fall 2006, when will it be the best time for me to apply? How do I help myself to study for the MCAT? I have now until January 18 to study as much as I can for that.

Where are you from? Do you know anything about the app process? You have to apply in the spring/summer of 2005 in order to matriculate in fall 2006. You need longer than just three weeks to study for the MCAT. It sounds like you dont have much of an idea of what this process entails -- get an education, and fast.

indiaberry said:
I have change my major to biology for this fall. My question is, do medical school count only the GPA for the 4 required science classes (one year of biology, organic chemistry, general chemistry, and university physic)? Or do they really need more science classes than that?

They don't need more science courses, but they count every single one you take.

indiaberry said:
I asked because my university have a program for pre-med student, where we should take more science classes than the required above.

If you're a bio major, then clearly you are taking more than the pre-reqs.

indiaberry said:
If my science gpa is a 2.65 now, how do I bring that up with the 17.5 credit classes I will be taking in the spring?

Let's think... I know! Get A's in everything. How else can you bring it up? No other way than to do well in your courses.

indiaberry said:
How would the letter grade for the organic 5 credit, biology 4 credit, university physic 5 credit, and english 3 credit, and physical education .5 credit help me to bring that up..to what GPA?

No one can answer that but you because we don't have your academic record in front of us.

indiaberry said:
Would the C in organic chemistry hurt me by a lot in my admission to a medical school?

There is an enormous discrepancy b/w your non-sci gpa and your sci gpa. That looks suspicious. If you're not good at the sciences, why are you plannin on going into medicine?

stinkycheese said:
No, it won't. Showing you can ace an easier class doesn't make up for doing poorly in a harder one.

If you want to retake it, then retake it at your own school or one of comparable difficulty -- not a community college.

Where are you from? Do you know anything about the app process? You have to apply in the spring/summer of 2005 in order to matriculate in fall 2006. You need longer than just three weeks to study for the MCAT. It sounds like you dont have much of an idea of what this process entails -- get an education, and fast.

They don't need more science courses, but they count every single one you take.

If you're a bio major, then clearly you are taking more than the pre-reqs.

Let's think... I know! Get A's in everything. How else can you bring it up? No other way than to do well in your courses.

No one can answer that but you because we don't have your academic record in front of us.

There is an enormous discrepancy b/w your non-sci gpa and your sci gpa. That looks suspicious. If you're not good at the sciences, why are you plannin on going into medicine?

actually, community college classes are generally accepted, except in certian circumstances with ivy leagues...

about your gpa, since you have not told us your current number of credit hours earned, we have to make a few assumptions:
1) average curriculm of about 130 credit hours
2) you have 3 semesters left based on wanting to start medical school in 2006.

after these we arrive at you having about 81.25 credit hours

this coupled with the current gpa you have allows us to continue.

if you were to take 17.5 credit hours and get straight As in all of them, then your gpa would come up from a 2.65, to a 2.889.

furthermore, if you were to finish your degree and get the 130 assumed credit hours will ALL A's, then you would get a GPA of 3.15

HOWEVER, this gpa is your cum gpa, not just science or nonscience. thusly, since your non science is so high, you can only assume that your science gpa will be less than this gpa shown here.

if you want more help, ask a counselor, or tell us more about your situation.

additionally, i agree with the above poster in that you have not at all planned out your course to get in to medical school. you should look into that ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
cooldreams said:
actually, community college classes are generally accepted, except in certian circumstances with ivy leagues...

True. However, taking it and getting a C at a four year school and then retaking at a CC could raise questions. Even if you make an A at that point, that is not at all the same thing as having taken it the first time at a CC and gotten an A. Med schools want to see that you have taken the most challenging course available to you. In many circumstances that is a CC course due to economics or geography or scheduling or whatever. In this case, though, retaking at a CC looks like the OP is scared to retake at the original school.

This, however, is not the most important of the OP's MANY issues that need to be worked out.

indiaberry said:
I have currently got a C in organic chemistry at the private college. I am wondering if I take it over in the summer at the community college and get a A, would that make a different to medical school? I am upset about the C. I don't really know what to do.
I have change my major to biology for this fall. My question is, do medical school count only the GPA for the 4 required science classes (one year of biology, organic chemistry, general chemistry, and university physic)? Or do they really need more science classes than that? I asked because my university have a program for pre-med student, where we should take more science classes than the required above.
If my science gpa is a 2.65 now, how do I bring that up with the 17.5 credit classes I will be taking in the spring? How would the letter grade for the organic 5 credit, biology 4 credit, university physic 5 credit, and english 3 credit, and physical education .5 credit help me to bring that up..to what GPA?

Chill out man!!! If you're serious (I believe you're a troll), just do your best. Your science GPA may hurt you a little bit, I think you have a clever idea of taking CC classes. Even though they tell medical schools you can't handle real classes, you are helping yourself out. Also, don't expect to get many replies to the dozen of questions you asked.

I got a C in one semester of organic chem and have managed to remain competitive. None of the schools I've interviewed at said anything about a C here or a B- there...try to do well in other science classes and take more than just the required pre-requisites. If you take biochemistry and do well, that will look excellent.