C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would go with Navy HPSP if you have good enough stats. I heard Army is already filled up and will not be taking any more new applications anyway. I believe the next board meeting for the Navy is in January, so you should get everything submitted by Jan. 1st
Do you have insight into any aspects that makes one preferable over the other, outside of stationing location?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have insight into any aspects that makes one preferable over the other, outside of stationing location?
I really do not know much about Army, but the reasons why I applied to the Navy are because:
- they got the best uniform
- they had the DAT 22+ deal so I thought I had my best shot at Navy
- I think I can truly enjoy being on a ship exploring the world.

If I were you, I'd take a look at the "Ask a _____ dentist" threads stickied at the top of the forum to get an idea of life in one branch vs. the other.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really do not know much about Army, but the reasons why I applied to the Navy are because:
- they got the best uniform
- they had the DAT 22+ deal so I thought I had my best shot at Navy
- I think I can truly enjoy being on a ship exploring the world.

Anchors Aweigh!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What's a typical deployment like with the Navy?

Thanks for your replies :)

Also, I happen to have a doctor's appointment this Thursday. Is there anything required that I should
have her do during my appointment?

What's a typical deployment like with the Navy?

I was chatting with this Navy dentist stationed with the Marines in Afghanistan. He loved his time there. Mostly he hung around base.

He said he'd sit in his tent playing PS3 when there were no patients.

Also, another Navy dentist I spoke with served onboard a ship and he told me misses the camaraderie. Food gets old after a while on ships though. But the port visits make up for it.

I was chatting with this Navy dentist stationed with the Marines in Afghanistan. He loved his time there. Mostly he hung around base.

He said he'd sit in his tent playing PS3 when there were no patients.

Also, another Navy dentist I spoke with served onboard a ship and he told me misses the camaraderie. Food gets old after a while on ships though. But the port visits make up for it.
Do you know what a typical length of deployment is? My gf wants to know and I can't get a straight answer from my recruiter.

Do you know what a typical length of deployment is? My gf wants to know and I can't get a straight answer from my recruiter.

This could easily change by the time you enter service.

Last edited:
Was told I needed a dean's letter, stating I'm on track to graduate in Spring, to be able to board with the Army. Was anyone else here required to do the same? Would a letter from advisor suffice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was told I needed a dean's letter, stating I'm on track to graduate in Spring, to be able to board with the Army. Was anyone else here required to do the same? Would a letter from advisor suffice?
I got one from the head of the biology department at my school who is also my advisor and it worked just fine! As long as it is on official letterhead from your school and says your are on track and is signed it should be good!

I got one from the head of the biology department at my school who is also my advisor and it worked just fine! As long as it is on official letterhead from your school and says your are on track and is signed it should be good!
I agree

I am kind of late to the HPSP process. I assume it is too late to apply for the 4 year HPSP. However, I'm interested in the 3 year. What's the current status of the 3 year for the Army and Navy? I feel like I have a decent shot.

Do you know when the first Army boards are? I was told that they might happen this month.

My recruiter told me it would be happening sometime next week. He said that the boards would be reviewing all the packets that were completed. The only reason I hesitate in believing the recruiter 100% is that I was told boards would meet in October (and that never happened).

MEPs tomorrow, im nervous and not really sure what to expect..
Standard blood tests, hearing and vision, drug tests, and a physical check up. Lots of waiting. Lots of boredom.

Best of all, you get to sit in a cold room with a bunch of other people in your underwear, and do all sorts of exercises together in front of a doctor.

Standard blood tests, hearing and vision, drug tests, and a physical check up. Lots of waiting. Lots of boredom.

Best of all, you get to sit in a cold room with a bunch of other people in your underwear, and do all sorts of exercises together in front of a doctor.
I'm assuming no shirt? I have a small 2 inch scar that is no very noticeable on my stomach that I did not disclose, so what is what I am worried about

I'm assuming no shirt? I have a small 2 inch scar that is no very noticeable on my stomach that I did not disclose, so what is what I am worried about
Yeah literally just your underwear. If it's from a medical procedure, you should have reported that. If not, they might ask you about it, but no big deal.

Yeah literally just your underwear. If it's from a medical procedure, you should have reported that. If not, they might ask you about it, but no big deal.
It was from a Pyloric stenosis surgery, which I see online says thats there is no medical record required for that. I did not report it anywhere, but if I am shirtless tomorrow it won't really be a secret

It was from a Pyloric stenosis surgery, which I see online says thats there is no medical record required for that. I did not report it anywhere, but if I am shirtless tomorrow it won't really be a secret
Online as in an official Navy source? Sometimes they can be picky at MEPS. Might want to ask your recruiter if you're worried about it.

Heads up, at my MEPS they had us complete the exact same medical paperwork that I already went over with my recruiter (prescreen?). YMMV.

You can report it tomorrow on the paperwork they give you

I don't have any paperwork for it though as i had this surgery done in a different country

Last edited:
For those of you who applied to more than one branch of the military, how did MEPS work out? Did you meet with both your Army and Navy recruiter the morning of?

IIRC the forms they ask you to fill has two components.

One question asks if you ever been hospitalized. If yes for what reason.

Two, if you ever had surgrey. If yes for what reason.

They want medical records if you answer YES to any of those types of questions. The stuff online just lists out what are disqualifying medical questions me thinks.

There's also another form that asks you to indicate if you have anything out of the ordinary on your body. Like moles, birthmarks, scars etc. If yes, mark on the diagram where it is on your body. Not sure if that's standard for all MEPS though.

Just e-mailed my Letter of Acceptance & Registrar-Completed Academic Year Statement to my recruiter.

Not gonna lie, seeing that acceptance letter again and the academic year statement filled out by the registrar made me really really happy.

Onwards to Congress for scrolling, then commissioning, and then service in the world's best military!

Reactions: 2 users
Just e-mailed my Letter of Acceptance & Registrar-Completed Academic Year Statement to my recruiter.

Not gonna lie, seeing that acceptance letter again and the academic year statement filled out by the registrar made me really really happy.

Onwards to Congress for scrolling, then commissioning, and then service in the world's best military!

Congrats! Which school are you going to attend?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Lucky you! My Academic Year Statement will not be completed until Mid-January due to tuition increase. They said they have to wait it out in order to fill out the accurate information.

Any updates for the army? Last I heard boards were scheduled for late January. Has anyone received any news? It sure seems slow going with the army.

I think army is boarding next week but maybe thats for 3 year scholarships

My recruiter told me the board was January 24th and then results will be out about two weeks after that for the four year scholarship.

Would you accept the Army HPSP if you're going to your state school? I don't know what to do...

Would you accept the Army HPSP if you're going to your state school? I don't know what to do...

Yes absolutely. I'm so excited about the experience of being a military dentist and caring for our servicemembers. The scholarship itself is an additional perk.

Also, even state schools are expensive now. The average state school is now running around $250-300K. So it's a great deal on the financial side too.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes absolutely. I'm so excited about the experience of being a military dentist and caring for our servicemembers. The scholarship itself is an additional perk.

Also, even state schools are expensive now. The average state school is now running around $250-300K. So it's a great deal on the financial side too.
Yep! Just because a state school isn't 450K+ doesn't make it any less scarier.

It is going to be one of the most interesting experiences you will ever have in life! I not only love the fact that they are covering up my 4 years of schooling, but I am also planning to use this opportunity to attain broader spectrum of life.

Is your packet ready to board? I was given a late December deadline
Yeah, I got everything in so at this point it's just a waiting game for me. I was originally told I had until January 12'th but then my recruiters said they wanted to knock it out ASAP, but it looks like the Board still isn't meeting until January 24'th.