C+ Pre Reqs Worth Retaking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I retake the Cs and B that I made (science pre-reqs)

• Retake

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Not Worth it, try to do better in other science classes

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

queen_raychel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!! Long time lurker 0.0

I'm from Texas and currently going to a community college(sophomore). I talked to an adviser about retaking some pre-reqs. This is what she said

"You are permitted to retake courses at (college name) if you so desire, but keep in mind that you will not be earning any additional hours. If you made a C or better on the first attempt, both grades will be included in your GPA. Please see the (college name) Grade Forgiveness Policy below from our catalog, and let me know if you have any further questions."

So I got (science pre-reqs):
  • B in Bio 1
  • A in Bio 2
  • C in General Chem
  • C In Physics
My question: Is it worth retaking these pre-reqs even when the lowest grade will not be replaced? Our science department is lacking at my community college (trust me it is) I got an A in Bio 2 because I had an awesome professor that year. I feel like I did not do well in Chem because I had a bad professor(we had 3 professors to chose and all sucked according to RateMyProffesorscom). I didn't do well in physics because we only had one professor to chose from and her rating from RateMyProfessorcom also sucked. Overall my community college has bad science professors. I'm also a Bio Major so I still have the chance to take upper level science courses at a University. I am planning to graduate 2020. I'm going to apply to the Texas Dental Schools and some out of state. I am still in the process of shadowing and of course taking the DAT next year. What advice can you guys give me? My adviser is not much help. She said I did not have to take Stats but when I did the research all TX Dental Schools require it. ( I am going to take the DAT next year).

Does it matter to say that I am a Latina when applying to dental school? I also work as a Claims Analyst Intern for a huge Fortune 500 ranked company during these 2 years at my college. (so will dental school let my grades slide?)

Thank You, Hope I'm not bothering y'all with this silly question :/

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding retaking pre-reqs: I wouldn't retake them, but instead just kill the rest of your pre-reqs and upper sciences at university. The bios are fine, so kill gen chem 2 and physics 2. I would, however, make sure to solidify your foundation of these basic pre-reqs so that you can do well in future pre-reqs and on the DAT.

Edit: I'm assuming you're thinking of retaking them at the CC before going to university? Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this considering this concerns your CC gpa and not your university gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding retaking pre-reqs: I wouldn't retake them, but instead just kill the rest of your pre-reqs and upper sciences at university. The bios are fine, so kill gen chem 2 and physics 2. I would, however, make sure to solidify your foundation of these basic pre-reqs so that you can do well in future pre-reqs and on the DAT.

Edit: I'm assuming you're thinking of retaking them at the CC before going to university? Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this considering this concerns your CC gpa and not your university gpa.
I really appreciate it! Yes that is what I was thinking. Just do better in the upper level science classes. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lot of stuff here.

-Dental schools don't override bad grades due to retakes, regardless of what you got the first time.
-Some schools don't take CC credits (Tufts) or have a hard limit on the number they accept (a few others)
-Latina helps some
-Working while doing school helps a smidgen, but not to give you an advantage over a student without Cs.
-Some professors do suck, but don't blame grades on that when interviewing. Take ownership.

I'd take the rest of the classes at a university. Get nothing lower than a B, get a 20+ on the DAT, and the Cs shouldn't kill you.

Doing well on the DAT will also help your case.

Sent from my XT1575 using SDN mobile

Lot of stuff here.

-Dental schools don't override bad grades due to retakes, regardless of what you got the first time.
-Some schools don't take CC credits (Tufts) or have a hard limit on the number they accept (a few others)
-Latina helps some
-Working while doing school helps a smidgen, but not to give you an advantage over a student without Cs.
-Some professors do suck, but don't blame grades on that when interviewing. Take ownership.

I'd take the rest of the classes at a university. Get nothing lower than a B, get a 20+ on the DAT, and the Cs shouldn't kill you.
Alright so if I make an A in the retake(at a cc) they won't accept it but if I take it at a University they might override it? Yes sometimes professors do suck but for sure I wont be putting all the blame on them. Thank you for responding! I really appreciate it c:

Alright so if I make an A in the retake(at a cc) they won't accept it but if I take it at a University they might override it?
No. AADSAS factors in both grades when calculating your GPA. There is no "overriding" it. So a C would be like a 2.0 and an A is a 4.0 so together it'd be a 3.0 which is better than a 2.0...so I guess it may help a bit but I'd suggest just taking higher level courses (Virology, Immunology, Histology, Physiology, etc) and absolutely crushing it in those classes, getting nothing but As.

Alright so if I make an A in the retake(at a cc) they won't accept it but if I take it at a University they might override it? Yes sometimes professors do suck but for sure I wont be putting all the blame on them. Thank you for responding! I really appreciate it c:
No overrides, period. Unless the dental school takes no cc credits at all (only Tufts), they'll all count.

I'm just saying do well on the rest of em at a 4 year institution and the Cs won't be a big deal.

Having been through TX application and seeing how competitive it is, I would say re-take BUT not right now, closer towards completion of your pre-req courses.
You are still early in the game so no worries. Taking stats is a good idea, IMO.

Try to make A's from now out and at do well on your DAT next year. Yes, TX schools put a big emphasis on URM so it will help your admission.

When do you plan to go to university ? I would really suggest take most of your science courses at a UNI instead of community college.
Feel free to message me or other TX people on here!

Last edited:
Got a C in Calculus I and then an A in Calculus II.. didn't retake the first course and am currently sitting on 11 interviews.. improve your grades in the more applied science courses you'll be taking and forget about the C's.