MD Rapper

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
558
1
Status
In my entire transcript I have only one C- (2nd part of ochem). Do med schools consider this passing or not? Would they make me retake it. My question is less about will they accept me and more about if they consider C- a passing grade. The rest of my transcript is mostly A's. Thanks guys
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
MD Rapper said:
In my entire transcript I have only one C- (2nd part of ochem). Do med schools consider this passing or not? Would they make me retake it. My question is less about will they accept me and more about if they consider C- a passing grade. The rest of my transcript is mostly A's. Thanks guys
Good question. I recalled that C is considered the minimum grade to be accetped. This probably changes from school to school. I would call up a few to make sure.
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
i believe all schools have different policy towards this.
Some schools may say anything above a letter of D is passing...while others may make the distinction that nothing below a C is acceptable...including C-s.

you should call up some of the schools you are interested in to see what they say about it. and if it ends up being a problem...you can always retake it and do better in it the 2nd time around.
 
About the Ads

berriesarie

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
31
0
northeast
Visit site
Status
I got a C in biochem and didn't have a problem with my applications, no one even mentioned it during interviews. I wouldn't worry if that is your only bad grade.
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
berriesarie said:
I got a C in biochem and didn't have a problem with my applications, no one even mentioned it during interviews. I wouldn't worry if that is your only bad grade.

The op wasn't worried about having a C, he was worried if a C- would be accepted (versus acceptable). Yes, a C is fine, as long as the school accepts it. I'm almost positive every school accepts C and higher. Below that then it gets dicey.
 

beanbean

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2002
1,298
11
52
Connecticut
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Since the C- was in Orgo and Orgo is a requirement for matriculation, you might need to retake it. Check with the schools you are interested in - they may care, they may not.

Congrats on the rest of your transcript - sounds great.
 

poof0078

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2004
9
0
37
Bowling Green, Ohio
Status
MD Rapper said:
In my entire transcript I have only one C- (2nd part of ochem). Do med schools consider this passing or not? Would they make me retake it. My question is less about will they accept me and more about if they consider C- a passing grade. The rest of my transcript is mostly A's. Thanks guys

I have a bigger problem than a C-. Our ochem teacher,who is new this year has no idea how to teach it. He had a major curve the first semester so most of us passed with B's. This semester is a different story. Almost 65% of the class, including ME is failing and he personally encouraged about 5 people to drop out of his class. So in short, this guy is a real dick!! IF I get a D, how bad does that look? I know I would retake the course, but the preliminary transcripts I send will have that ugly grade on it. Any suggestions??? :confused:
 

Optimist

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
277
0
Illinois
Status
poof0078 said:
I have a bigger problem than a C-. Our ochem teacher,who is new this year has no idea how to teach it. He had a major curve the first semester so most of us passed with B's. This semester is a different story. Almost 65% of the class, including ME is failing and he personally encouraged about 5 people to drop out of his class. So in short, this guy is a real dick!! IF I get a D, how bad does that look? I know I would retake the course, but the preliminary transcripts I send will have that ugly grade on it. Any suggestions??? :confused:

These kinds of situations often improve because if half of a class is failing, the teacher will have some explaining to do. But if you really think you'll get a D, then definitely withdraw. One or two withdrawals in a college career aren't going to raise any eyebrows, but a D in O chem probably will.

If you're taking a full load, you can always explain a withdrawal by saying that you wanted more time in order to put a better effort into your other classes/job/volunteering/MCAT studying or whatever.
 

tautomer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
153
2
Visit site
Status
MD Rapper said:
In my entire transcript I have only one C- (2nd part of ochem). Do med schools consider this passing or not? Would they make me retake it. My question is less about will they accept me and more about if they consider C- a passing grade. The rest of my transcript is mostly A's. Thanks guys
I've read that if you get any grade below a C, "they" "strongly recommend" that you retake the course for a higher grade (i.e., it's required). I would recommend retaking the course again anyways. Go back and ace it, and it won't be a big problem at all.

I've also read that organic chemistry is one of the most important pre-requisite course in the pre-med curriculum. A strong grade in this course is highly recommended. I think if you retake it again and do well, they'll recognize that maybe that particular semester just wasn't in your favor.

Good luck!
 

WyldeWolf1

Get your own!
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
279
0
Status
Attending Physician
Optimist said:
These kinds of situations often improve because if half of a class is failing, the teacher will have some explaining to do.
Howso? Iirc, Ochem has a 65-70% failing rate nationwide. I know it did at my school, which meant that getting a raw A pretty much guaranteed you a favorable letter of rec from the prof.
 

ken37

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2004
139
0
Dallas, Texas
Visit site
Status
WyldeWolf1 said:
Howso? Iirc, Ochem has a 65-70% failing rate nationwide. I know it did at my school, which meant that getting a raw A pretty much guaranteed you a favorable letter of rec from the prof.

??? Did you just pull that statistic out of the air? I know organic may be a bit harder than a fluff class, but it definately isn't that hard. I went to a top state school, and perhaps 10-15% of the class failed.
 

Wahooali

The Real Sydney Bristow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
1,318
0
38
a galaxy far far away
Visit site
Status
I don't mean to draw attention away from the OP, but what do you guys think about a C- in second semester Orgo Lab? That is the only C I have, and yes it is in a pre-req, but it is lab, do you think that makes a difference? Because I would consider retaking it, but then I would probably have to retake second semester orgo as well in order to perform adequately. You can PM me if you have any thoughts on it. Thanks!
 

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
1,331
18
41
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd agree, you probably should retake the course. If you do not, be ready to explain (if you're given the chance to explain) on your applications and in interviews. I will say that I've had at least two friends who had D's in a science, one got into med school and the other didn't. You'll have to make the choice for yourself. To avoid the uncertainty, I'd suggest getting a higher grade in the course.

To Wahooali, I wouldn't necessarily sweat the lab as much, but it's still a prereq. I've taken labs before without the course and did fine. If you feel comfy retaking the lab, go ahead and do it, but it's not like getting a C- in the actual 3-4 credit course.

I'd also take beanbean's advice before you make a final decision. Call the schools you're interested in and see what they say.

Best,
H&T
 
About the Ads