Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD c3.69 s3.59 mcat 38 schools to apply?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by ertn204, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ertn204

ertn204

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

I'd appreciate feedback on what schools would be possible matches based on my statistics since they are lopsided.

cumm-3.69 (upward trend)
    scie-3.59 (upward trend)
    mcat-38
    Ivy league, CA resident

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Where do you think you would be a good fit?

4. ertn204

ertn204

Pre-Medical
    Well I'd like to go somewhere in CA--that would be the best situation. Some others I'm considering are
    -Tufts
    -Vanderbilt
    -Upenn
    -Mount Sinai
    -University of Rochester
    -Emory
    -Drexel
    -Temple
    -Jefferson
    -University of Pittsburgh
    -Boston University

I feel like most of them are reaches though so I was looking for advice on making a more balanced list.

5. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Do you have clinical experience?
    Research experience?
    Volunteerism?

6. ertn204

ertn204

Pre-Medical
    Some clinical volunteering experience in college-started around November last year about 80 hours. I've shadowed doctors for about 40 hours. Definitely know it's a weak link. I have a lot of non-clinical volunteering hours and a lot of research (abstracts, posters, presentations at national meetings but no publications)

Something I've wanted to ask...is it okay to include high school clinical volunteering hours since it's an activity I've continued in college? They were done mostly senior year of high school, about 100 hours total.

7. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    If an activity you began in High school continued to be significant part of your college experience, it is fine to include it. If it only spilled over into college at little, then no.

Do you have enough clinical experience to convince us that you know what you are getting into? I just finished reviewing our waitlist. These candidates are numerically identical to the accepted students with the exception that many of them were unable to express a clear understanding of what it means to be a physician and convince the interviewers that they knew where they fit in the scheme of medical care-giving.

Since you are at an Ivy, I am confident that they have resources to help you. Make an appointment and bring all of your relevant information. Come back and tell us what they said.

Last edited: 05.16.14
  8. AndyQC

AndyQC

Pre-Medical
    I have roughly the same numbers as you, much more clinical experience, but no research. I would suggest that you keep an open mind about leaving CA. I only got one interview in the state and the students I met were all superstars. Not only did each one have tons of clinical experience, but many had been published and nearly all of them were very personable.

CA is a really tough state. Of course, you definitely want to apply to all seven schools, but make sure to check out some of the OOS-friendly programs in the East as well.

Good luck!

9. ertn204

ertn204

Pre-Medical
    gyngyn and AndyQC, thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm definitely keeping an open mind about CA. AndyQC, are there any OOS programs in particular you would recommend applying to with these numbers (since you had similar ones)? gyngyn, I have talked to advisors and they have mentioned my clinical experience as being weak but I am confident in my reasons for wanting to be a physician and what it might entail so hopefully I'll be able to express those thoughts coherently in my essay and interviews.

10. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Your reasons may be excellent and well thought-out, but the best applications have validated reasons for this professional choice.

You are clearly smart and a good student but the rate limiting step in your application is a proven commitment to service.

11. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    MSAR Online is your friend. Aim high, one you get some more clinical ECs in.

12. ertn204

ertn204

Pre-Medical
    Yes, I'll certainly keep participating in my current clinical volunteering activities and try to find more. Would you suggest taking a gap year to substantially increase my hours (I was planning on applying this cycle)? It doesn't seem possible to substantially increase them by the time I apply this year. On another note, are there any schools that supposedly prefer high(er) mcat, lower gpa combinations? I'm finding it difficult to select schools that could be in range or matches because most have higher gpas and lower mcats, and I'm unsure how to compensate one for the other.

13. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Just take two points off your MCAT.

14. Heplayer92

Heplayer92 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I do have a question about this gyngyn!

I was told from my advisor exactly what you said. However, he also stated that the experience could qualify as "spilling over into college" in terms of the experience having a lasting impression on you, or if it was extremely important.

For instance, I am putting my 100ish hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing from high school, because that's where the bulk of my shadowing experience came from. It was this experience that solidified my desire to become a physician, and pursue the pre-medical route in college. What I learned from there, and the insight that I gained, has contributed immensely into who I am today and my academic and professional endeavors.

Would that still be automatically disregarded? I feel like if OP could talk about it in a certain way, and connect it to college life and beyond, it could be worth a shot? Thanks for your time!

15. ertn204

ertn204

Pre-Medical
    Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by this. Take 2 points off and look for schools that are matches with the new combination?

16. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Lasting impressions and pivotal events from youth can figure highly in the PS and be the intro to continued college activities. However, a significant proportion of your EC's must be after high school.

17. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Yes. Look for MSAR matches a few notches down from a high MCAT score when you have a slightly more modest gpa and much more modest clinical experiences.

18. Mehd School

Mehd School 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would add Tulane to your list if the price tag doesn't scare you off. They seem to be more forgiving with GPA's and love a solid MCAT.

gyngyn likes this.
  19. AndyQC

AndyQC

Pre-Medical
    I'm preparing to re-apply and just starting to build a school list now. Looking at Vanderbilt, Tufts, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, OHSU, U of UT, U of CO, and a few others. U of AZ accepts a handful of OOSers every year while U of NM and U of NV take very few.

All I can think of off the top of my head right now. Definitely pick up an MSAR. It can be very helpful, though it doesn't give a lot of info about OOS preference.

20. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Look in the Acceptance Information tab for the school you are investigating. Scroll down to Matriculation Data for First Year Class. It doesn't help with regional preferences but you can estimate their willingness to interview OOS and whether it is only for MD/PhD.

21. ThisCouldBeYou

ThisCouldBeYou

Pre-Medical
    So gyngyn, are you advising that candidates with a 3.59/38 MCAT really consider themselves as having 3.59/36 (a 72 LizzyM score)?

22. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Applicants with very high MCAT scores whose clinical or research experience is limited would do well to avoid research powerhouses that tend to populate their classes with these scores. By choosing schools slightly below what would be predicted on the MCAT, OP will likely have better success.

I must admit I don't know much about this "LizzyM score," so I can't say if I am recommending an alteration or not!

About the ads