CA - CII from hospital with printed date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shishkabab

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The doctor signed, but the date is not hand written..... And instead printed on the Rx.
The Rx is totally legit... But what does the law state in this case?

I found one transcript that says the doctor must sign and date. But in another part it says that a pharmacist can make corrections to a prescription (example printed date) for controlled meds. It does not specify C2 tho.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

its a god damn date printed .. just fill it. what are you gonna do, tell them to go back to the hospital and have their er doc write them a new rx and make sure he 'hand writes' the date so you can fill it?

and no, i don't practice in california. but really.. its a date.

The idea is that they cannot leave the date blank...it must be filled in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Faq's on most recent issue of "The Script" (CA BOP newsletter) states that no date on a C2 is a script killer. However I believe there are rules that allow for electronically printed rx's to have an electronically printed date. I'd have to go back and see if that applies to c2s.

This is an exerpt from The Script (3/12):

Q. I received an electronically printed Schedule II prescription from a hospital, and the date was not handwritten, it was printed electronically. If the issue date is not handwritten, does the patient have to obtain a new prescription, or are we allowed to call the doctor to verify the date?

A. The date does not have to be handwritten when the prescription forms are generated by a computerized prescription generation system from a hospital or other licensed health care facility (H&SC section 11162.1 [c][4]). Forms for licensed health care facilities, "...that are printed by a computerized prescription generation system may contain the prescriber's name, category of professional licensure, license number, federal controlled registration number, and the date of the prescription."

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/12_mar_script.pdf

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of hospitals around where i work are now switching to printed scripts. I like them a lot because of the ease of reading it. Has all the patient information on it clearly as well as the doctors name and DEA. All that we require is the script to be signed. Date and time is printed at the top.