Switching from retail to hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxbaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have been a retail Pharmacist for a decade now and sort of having mid life crisis. Looking for a change. I want to hear from Pharmacists who have made the switch from retail to hospital. What would you suggest studying or preparing if I am lucky enough to get an interview. Any helpful tips are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

why not just try outpatient in the hospital first

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't really study/prepare anything since you will most likely learn everything during the job training. Try to apply for per diem position in local hospital first. As far as I know, most hospitals prefer to hire/transition per diem/PT to FT position within the network. That's actually how I secured my FT job.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't really study/prepare anything since you will most likely learn everything during the job training. Try to apply for per diem position in local hospital first. As far as I know, most hospitals prefer to hire/transition per diem/PT to FT position within the network. That's actually how I secured my FT job.
Great! That is exactly my plan. Do you mind sharing how your interview was? What kind of questions are asked. I haven’t interviewed for a job in a while.

why hospital? have considered non-traditional careers paths? The grass isn't always greener on the otherside.

why hospital? have considered non-traditional careers paths? The grass isn't always greener on the otherside.
Not sure! Will you share your experience in your setting?

I think you are looking it at it from wrong angle. You can't compete with newer grads on knowledge. If they are interviewing you, they will be looking for the right fit and flexibility.

It would help if you didn't go in completely clueless, but as others have said, it will be pretty hard to prepare knowledge wise without actually working in hospital. I'd suggest doing some CE's geared towards hospital pharmacists, or reviewing dosing of common IV drugs, or protocols for the most common stuff (at least what was common before COVID) such as MI or CAP. But stuff as common protocols and mixing TPN's, you will learn at the hospital how they do things.

In interviews, concentrate on skills from retail that will transfer over to hospital. Most notably, how you are a people person and have dealt with types of personalities in the myriad of customers that you serve. Since the biggest negative of working hospital is the gossip and cliques and in toxic environments out and out backstabbing, a person who can present themselves as positive thinker, a get along with everyone type, a never get angry or riled up no matter what happens type--that is going to be the biggest asset.

I think you are looking it at it from wrong angle. You can't compete with newer grads on knowledge. If they are interviewing you, they will be looking for the right fit and flexibility.
It would help if you didn't go in completely clueless, but as others have said, it will be pretty hard to prepare knowledge wise without actually working in hospital. I'd suggest doing some CE's geared towards hospital pharmacists, or reviewing dosing of common IV drugs, or protocols for the most common stuff (at least what was common before COVID) such as MI or CAP. But stuff as common protocols and mixing TPN's, you will learn at the hospital how they do things.

In interviews, concentrate on skills from retail that will transfer over to hospital. Most notably, how you are a people person and have dealt with types of personalities in the myriad of customers that you serve. Since the biggest negative of working hospital is the gossip and cliques and in toxic environments out and out backstabbing, a person who can present themselves as positive thinker, a get along with everyone type, a never get angry or riled up no matter what happens type--that is going to be the biggest asset.
Thank you for your helpful response. Great suggestions!