CA pharmacist license reciprocity ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradise0109

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm currently a licensed pharmacist in another state and want to obtain a license in CA. I did not request score transfer before taking the NAPLEX last year. Anyone knows if CA allows license reciprocate? Do I need to re-take the NAPLEX again?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone's in the same boat as I am? I looked on CA website and it says "CA does not allow reciprocity" Does it mean that we need to re-take NAPLEX again if did not request score transfer before taking the NAPLEX???

Please help if anyone knows about this!! I'm trying to get my license in CA, and BOP wouldn't answer any question.

No, you do not need to retake the NAPLEX if you took it in 2004 or later. Although, it may cost you about as much as the NAPLEX exam to get your score sent to the CA Board of Pharmacy (depending on the state you are transferring from, mine was $300). Visit the NABP web site: http://www.nabp.net/programs/licensure/licensure-transfer/index.php and apply for a licensure transfer.

You will still need to submit the individual CA application materials along with the licensure transfer documents (and take the CPJE) to become licensed. However, you will not need to retake the NAPLEX. I just transferred from out of state this year into California so let me know if you have any questions about the process! Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Penguin85, I know this thread is almost a year old, but you're the only person I've found with any useful/encouraging info on license transfer to California. I'm currently attempting to compile all the necessary documents for my application and have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Background info: I've already received my license transfer application materials from the NABP. I took the NAPLEX in 2006, have been licensed pharmacist in Nevada since 2006.

My questions:
1. Do I still need to have my school transcripts sent to Cali BOP if I've been licensed >1 year in another state?

2. Roughly how long did the process take for you? 4 months? 6 months? a year?! Just curious because most of what I've read have been nightmare stories of year long struggle to get licensed

I would just like to make sure I've sumbitted everything required because I know any deficiencies will significantly slow down the process. Thanks in advance!

My questions:
1. Do I still need to have my school transcripts sent to Cali BOP if I've been licensed >1 year in another state?

2. Roughly how long did the process take for you? 4 months? 6 months? a year?! Just curious because most of what I've read have been nightmare stories of year long struggle to get licensed

I would just like to make sure I've sumbitted everything required because I know any deficiencies will significantly slow down the process. Thanks in advance!

I am also planning to transfer my score. It has been 2 months and I have not heard anything back. Does anyone's have experience with this?

If you have experience with this, can you provide us with your experience?

My questions:

1. No
2. I sent in my application and heard back from them within 60 days as stated on their application. They answered all of my emails within 24 hours. I haven't taken my exam yet, but I can schedule to take it anytime.

R xxx,
Thanks for your input. Reassuring to hear things have gone smoothly for you. I sent in my application materials a week ago so now the waiting game begins. Good to know I don't need to forward my transcripts, as I've been fighting with my Univeristy's website and campus is closed for the holidays

I will post status updates as well and answer any questions I can as I move through the process.

1. No
2. I sent in my application and heard back from them within 60 days as stated on their application. They answered all of my emails within 24 hours. I haven't taken my exam yet, but I can schedule to take it anytime.

Is there an expiration date to when you must take the CPJE afte you have received your ATT? I am from out of state and thinking about taking it.

1 year from you get your ATT. I had allowed mine to expire when i applied 2 years ago, so I had to re-apply last summer again

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently attempting to compile all the necessary documents for my application and have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Background info: I've already received my license transfer application materials from the NABP. I took the NAPLEX in 2006, have been licensed pharmacist in Nevada since 2006.

My questions:

1. No

I just received a letter from the CA BOP stating that they DO require my transcrpits. Its been roughly one month since I sent my application in. At least I didn't have to wait the full 60 days to find out my application was deficient.

Hi Pharmagirrl22, I just submitted my application last Friday. So it takes a month to hear back from them? Hmmm. Good luck. I'm here with you if you want to share questions/experiences or just talk.

Hi Pharmagirrl22, I just submitted my application last Friday. So it takes a month to hear back from them? Hmmm. Good luck. I'm here with you if you want to share questions/experiences or just talk.

have you heard back from them yet? I have submitted my application and am anxiously wanting to hear from them

what are you using to studying for the cpje?

Hi Everyone,
I have a question on behalf of one of my friends about the pharmacy licensure in CA.

He is a foreign pharmacy graduate, already passed his FPGEE and has been practicing pharmacy for the last 15 years. He has also obtained his Doctor of Pharmacy degree (nontraditional) from the USA.

My question is, for CA licensure, can he simply send his Doctor of Pharmacy degree? Or does he need to additionally submit his FPGEE certification which he has completed 15 years ago?

Any help would be appreciated. =)

have you heard back from them yet? I have submitted my application and am anxiously wanting to hear from them

what are you using to studying for the cpje?

I received my ATT for the cpje feb 13. I hope you've heard back from them by now. Sorry for the late response I haven't checked the forums for a while. As far as study materials I got the rxprep book and Weissman's law book. As others have suggested I'm going to look over the most recent Scripts edition from the CBOP and also the pharmacy self assesment form that has to be filled out for board inspections. I've scheduled my exam for March 13th and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely freaking out

Reactions: 1 user
I received my ATT for the cpje feb 13. I hope you've heard back from them by now. Sorry for the late response I haven't checked the forums for a while. As far as study materials I got the rxprep book and Weissman's law book. As others have suggested I'm going to look over the most recent Scripts edition from the CBOP and also the pharmacy self assesment form that has to be filled out for board inspections. I've scheduled my exam for March 13th and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely freaking out

i finally got my att and studying furiously for the cpje!

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a licensed pharmacist in another state and want to obtain a license in CA. I did not request score transfer before taking the NAPLEX last year. Anyone knows if CA allows license reciprocate? Do I need to re-take the NAPLEX again?

Thanks all!

I'm a licensed pharmacist in Arizona and I graduated from UofA in 1992 and residency in 1993. We have moved to California this past year and I would like to become licensed in California. I know "today" I could not pass the two day exam. I need suggestions on where to go from here. What course/s are out there to study for the NABPLEX, as my Az license is not eligible for reciprocity. Do I need to just give up on getting a CA license and go for a technician license? Thank you ahead for any input on my situation.

You got a couple options...

"Pass NAPLEX Now" is a 4 day, 12hrs/day, review course taught by a smart Husband MD / Wife PharmD team... 2 huge review books come with the program... given a couple times a yr. at a hotel by the John Wayne Airport in Orange Co. I took it and really liked it.

"RxPrep" is a similar 5 day, 8hr/day, course given by 2 smart PharmD's... they give it in multiple places around CA. But they also have a online course with 55 or so lectures taped, review book and quiz bank... they reco that for people who have been out of school for awhile...

You can get a lot more info at both of there websites...

I graduated in 1977 from Buffalo, and got licensed in NY and worked in the pharma industry (marketing/education) for 35 yrs. Now I'm looking to start my 2nd career being a Pharmacist and I'm in the same boat with you... I just got approved to test from CA, got a yr to get it done... I applied for a Tech and an Intern license too to get back "behind the counter"

Good Luck!