CA resident, 2nd time MCAT. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Harrybean

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get your feedback on what I can do to better my app/list. My second MCAT this past September I got a 510 (128,123,127,132), I'm kinda worried about the low CARS... My second time was this past April and it was 505 (126,125,126,128). Thank you so much for the help in advance 🙂

- Asian, CA resident
- UCR Grad w/ 3.7 GPA, 3.72 sGPA (upward trend, averaged 3.85 2nd-5th year)
- Leaderships in four different clubs that served the underserved community (350 hours of non-clinical volunteering)
- 200 hours of clinical volunteering with an award for most exemplary volunteer
- 2 doctors shadowed (60 hours)
- very active at church, volunteering as a sound technician, small group leader for college students, and going to full day missions to Mexico once a month.
- Currently doing part-time scribe and part-time research at a plant pathology lab in UCR (plan to work from now till end of 2017)
- Unique story for why I want to pursue medicine
- one strong LOR from non-science professor, hoping to get strong ones from my scribe doctor and research PI. I also have weak ones from a science prof, and a D.O. family practitioner.


MD list

Creighton
Georgetown University
George Washington University of School of Med
Rosalind Franklin U
Penn State U
Drexel
Oakland U Beaumont
Western Michigan U
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane U
Temple U
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
University of California Riverside
University of California Davis
University of California Irvine
USC

DO list

Western Pomona
Touro California
 
You should be OK. Add more DO schools, though. Suggest TUNCOM, AZCOM and PacNW

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get your feedback on what I can do to better my app/list. My second MCAT this past September I got a 510 (128,123,127,132), I'm kinda worried about the low CARS... My second time was this past April and it was 505 (126,125,126,128). Thank you so much for the help in advance 🙂

- Asian, CA resident
- UCR Grad w/ 3.7 GPA, 3.72 sGPA (upward trend, averaged 3.85 2nd-5th year)
- Leaderships in four different clubs that served the underserved community (350 hours of non-clinical volunteering)
- 200 hours of clinical volunteering with an award for most exemplary volunteer
- 2 doctors shadowed (60 hours)
- very active at church, volunteering as a sound technician, small group leader for college students, and going to full day missions to Mexico once a month.
- Currently doing part-time scribe and part-time research at a plant pathology lab in UCR (plan to work from now till end of 2017)
- Unique story for why I want to pursue medicine
- one strong LOR from non-science professor, hoping to get strong ones from my scribe doctor and research PI. I also have weak ones from a science prof, and a D.O. family practitioner.


MD list

Creighton
Georgetown University
George Washington University of School of Med
Rosalind Franklin U
Penn State U
Drexel
Oakland U Beaumont
Western Michigan U
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane U
Temple U
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
University of California Riverside
University of California Davis
University of California Irvine
USC

DO list

Western Pomona
Touro California
 
You should be OK. Add more DO schools, though. Suggest TUNCOM, AZCOM and PacNW
Hey Goro! I remember you helped me out a whole lot when I was trying to figure out more of the D.O. schools after my first MCAT, I seriously can't thank you enough for that. I'll definitely put them on my list but idk if my list is getting too long now...

Are there schools that are "reach" on my list that I can potentially cut off?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cull the red/bold

Creighton
Georgetown University
George Washington University of School of Med
Rosalind Franklin U
Penn State U
Drexel
Oakland U Beaumont
Western Michigan U
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane U
Temple U
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
University of California Riverside Delete IF you're not from the Inland Empire
University of California Davis
University of California Irvine
USC

Hey Goro! I remember you helped me out a whole lot when I was trying to figure out more of the D.O. schools after my first MCAT, I seriously can't thank you enough for that. I'll definitely put them on my list but idk if my list is getting too long now...

Are there schools that are "reach" on my list that I can potentially cut off?
 
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get your feedback on what I can do to better my app/list. My second MCAT this past September I got a 510 (128,123,127,132), I'm kinda worried about the low CARS... My second time was this past April and it was 505 (126,125,126,128). Thank you so much for the help in advance 🙂

- Asian, CA resident
- UCR Grad w/ 3.7 GPA, 3.72 sGPA (upward trend, averaged 3.85 2nd-5th year)
- Leaderships in four different clubs that served the underserved community (350 hours of non-clinical volunteering)
- 200 hours of clinical volunteering with an award for most exemplary volunteer
- 2 doctors shadowed (60 hours)
- very active at church, volunteering as a sound technician, small group leader for college students, and going to full day missions to Mexico once a month.
- Currently doing part-time scribe and part-time research at a plant pathology lab in UCR (plan to work from now till end of 2017)
- Unique story for why I want to pursue medicine
- one strong LOR from non-science professor, hoping to get strong ones from my scribe doctor and research PI. I also have weak ones from a science prof, and a D.O. family practitioner.


MD list

Creighton
Georgetown University
George Washington University of School of Med
Rosalind Franklin U
Penn State U
Drexel
Oakland U Beaumont
Western Michigan U
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane U
Temple U
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
University of California Riverside
University of California Davis
University of California Irvine
USC

DO list

Western Pomona
Touro California
I can definitely see you being competitive for UCR. Keep active with the administration if you can and things should work out.