Cadaver labs at your program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys/gals here in EM residency do cadaver labs for procedures?
Does anyone know of who to contact to try and get something set up?
It seems like a great tool, especially for procedures that are very rare.
I do hear that it is incredibly expensive and that maybe the ultimate limiting factor.

Members don't see this ad.

They do a lot of cadaver stuff at University of Maryland (central lines, crics, thoracotomies, etc)... maybe someone from there can chime in. I think they pretty much have an unlimited supply, too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We do cadaver lab 4 times a year here at Nebraska. We use lightly-embalmed cadavers which provide the next best thing to a real patient. It is amazing! We do intubation (various techniques - oral, videomac, glidescope, retrograde, etc), chest tubes, thoracotomy, CVL, cutdown, fasciotomy...and others. Mannequin simulation is fine for practicing codes, etc but doesn't come close for the rest of the above listed procedures.

We do sim man and cadaver labs at hopkins. we use univ marylands cadaver lab at least once a year and more times as an intern. there are always extra opportunities...just got an email for another one. too bad im busy....cause i soooo love spending my free time with dead smelly people.

Not getting enough chest tubes and CVLs on living patients? I would tend to think the mannequin is just as adequate as a dead person with, you know, no blood pressure for CVLs.
Chest tubes would be different, if it were fresh. I think living pigs is better than dead people though, if you're going for realism.