Cal State Northridge Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjsugrad91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was accepted off CSUN's waitlist, and was curious if anybody had some insight as to the pros and cons of the program. Any information is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently was accepted off CSUN's waitlist, and was curious if anybody had some insight as to the pros and cons of the program. Any information is much appreciated.

I wouldn’t even bother with a pro and con list. I wouldn’t hesitate, just go. It’s a cal state so it’s one of the cheaper programs and it’s competitive to get in. And it’s only getting more competitive each year.

I wouldn’t even bother with a pro and con list. I wouldn’t hesitate, just go. It’s a cal state so it’s one of the cheaper programs and it’s competitive to get in. And it’s only getting more competitive each year.
Yeah, so I already did accept, and I made this thread merely to just discuss the pros and cons of the school out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What number were you originally?

Currently, I am not attending CSUN's DPT program but I went here for undergrad and know a number of people currently in it.
CSUN in general is a commuter school, but despite this, still has a nice vibe to it. The campus gym is hands down one of the best fitness facilities around the area - if not, the best. I've known a handful of PT students there who work as personal trainers and group fitness instructors as their side hustle to get a break from the demands of PT school.

I don't know the in's and out's of the program, but there are respectable and knowledgable instructors that I am sure will give you an excellent education. They also boast a unique internship with the LA Dodgers!! It's selective, and I believe only one student gets this every year, but if you're interested in sports PT, and especially in baseball, then this is a no brainer for you. All my friends who are/were in the program are excelling and thriving.

The only 'con' I can think of is that there's no building specifically for PT students, I think it's shared with many other departments.. I think it's part of the engineering building? There still is one room with treatment tables, etc., though. Oh, another pro: you dissect real (not plastic, as is the case in some programs) cadavers.

Also... Northridge is within vicinity of lots of dope places. I'm obviously biased... and like others mentioned, it's cheap. Had I been accepted here last cycle, would've chose it in a heart beat!

Currently, I am not attending CSUN's DPT program but I went here for undergrad and know a number of people currently in it.
CSUN in general is a commuter school, but despite this, still has a nice vibe to it. The campus gym is hands down one of the best fitness facilities around the area - if not, the best. I've known a handful of PT students there who work as personal trainers and group fitness instructors as their side hustle to get a break from the demands of PT school.

I don't know the in's and out's of the program, but there are respectable and knowledgable instructors that I am sure will give you an excellent education. They also boast a unique internship with the LA Dodgers!! It's selective, and I believe only one student gets this every year, but if you're interested in sports PT, and especially in baseball, then this is a no brainer for you. All my friends who are/were in the program are excelling and thriving.

The only 'con' I can think of is that there's no building specifically for PT students, I think it's shared with many other departments.. I think it's part of the engineering building? There still is one room with treatment tables, etc., though. Oh, another pro: you dissect real (not plastic, as is the case in some programs) cadavers.

Also... Northridge is within vicinity of lots of dope places. I'm obviously biased... and like others mentioned, it's cheap. Had I been accepted here last cycle, would've chose it in a heart beat!

Hey man, I really appreciate you giving me some pros and cons about the program. About how many hours a week are you in school, and how many hours a week do you study (especially in the first and second semester)? Are there any study methods that you use that really helped you out? I was also thinking about loosely studying anatomy throughout the summer. Should I do that? If so, what's the best way to go about it or should I just not bother?

Hey man, I really appreciate you giving me some pros and cons about the program. About how many hours a week are you in school, and how many hours a week do you study (especially in the first and second semester)? Are there any study methods that you use that really helped you out? I was also thinking about loosely studying anatomy throughout the summer. Should I do that? If so, what's the best way to go about it or should I just not bother?

No problem, man! The schedule varies every semester, but you can expect to be on campus nearly all day, from 7/8a - 3/4/5p, Mon-Fri. I'm answering this from a personal perspective, but I wouldn't be able to quantify how many hours I study a week, it depends on your personality. A number of my classmates are very Type A, so they study a lot and have crazy notes. I'm more laidback... so again, that'll influence how much you study. For my program, neuro was taken during second quarter so that definitely spiked up the amount of studying necessary, not sure when CSUN takes their neuro though.

If you feel like studying anatomy will help calm you, or help you period, you should go for it! I didn't.. just because I was genuinely trying to enjoy my last free summer before school and couldn't bring myself to study. In the end, I passed anatomy. Enjoy your free time