Calc 1 and 2 community college over summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbennett

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, i took ap calc in high school(scored a 3 so this will probably not work for med school even if they did accept ap scores which i dont think many if any do), so i got credit for calc at my ug school but i saw it was required by many of med schools(by the way thsi is my only math math i have taken at college) so i decided to take 1 and 2 this summer at my community college to save money. My question is since it is a prereq at most schools, did i just waste my time taking it at a cc because most state they dont want preqs taken at cc. I am well aware this could have gone in the cc preq thread but i choose not to because i feel that this is slightly diff being math rather than science and would like a more select opinion. I would like advice from people who are seniors or were seniors this past year and have actually been in the same situation because i am well aware of the general info on this matter. I realize every school is diff. and i have not narrowed down a single school that i want to go to but rather would just like a general idea on this matter. Stats t 3.89 s 3.78 from UCLA and Penn mcat(next month) and great ec's(president of club,captain ice-hockey NYC marathon...)other than NO research so i plan on applying to some top schools as well as schools in great locations (Hawaii, UCLA, UCSF, USF, Miami?,NYU...) to name a few so any help with these specifically would be much appreciated but realy advice from experiance from any school is welcomed as well. PLEASE, ONLY POST STUFF AS FACTS IF YOU ARE CERTAIN otherwise just let me know that you believe rather than know your infos correct. Thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad.

cbennett said:
Well, i took ap calc in high school(scored a 3 so this will probably not work for med school even if they did accept ap scores which i dont think many if any do), so i got credit for calc at my ug school but i saw it was required by many of med schools(by the way thsi is my only math math i have taken at college) so i decided to take 1 and 2 this summer at my community college to save money. My question is since it is a prereq at most schools, did i just waste my time taking it at a cc because most state they dont want preqs taken at cc. I am well aware this could have gone in the cc preq thread but i choose not to because i feel that this is slightly diff being math rather than science and would like a more select opinion. I would like advice from people who are seniors or were seniors this past year and have actually been in the same situation because i am well aware of the general info on this matter. I realize every school is diff. and i have not narrowed down a single school that i want to go to but rather would just like a general idea on this matter. Stats t 3.89 s 3.78 from UCLA and Penn mcat(next month) and great ec's(president of club,captain ice-hockey NYC marathon...)other than NO research so i plan on applying to some top schools as well as schools in great locations (Hawaii, UCLA, UCSF, USF, Miami?,NYU...) to name a few so any help with these specifically would be much appreciated but realy advice from experiance from any school is welcomed as well. PLEASE, ONLY POST STUFF AS FACTS IF YOU ARE CERTAIN otherwise just let me know that you believe rather than know your infos correct. Thanks a bunch

if you took AP BC cal and had a 3 on it you should just skip cal I and start from cal II, if not ... start from cal I.

Why waste time on it in any case? Where do you want to apply that requires Calc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Church said:
Why waste time on it in any case? Where do you want to apply that requires Calc?

I haven't looked specifically at any of the schools pages yet but i was told by premed advisor that one year college math and at alot of schools calc 1+2 were required. Maybe not? I sure hope she didn't pull this out of her ass. I will check on this tonight good call.

-To the other person. It was BC but like i said since i was told i needed a year of math i took the easy way out and retook what i had already passed rather than learning additional stuff i'll never use.

If you do a search for community college or junior college you might find more information.

In IL, the schools told me that fulfilling pre-reqs at a CC is fine. However, I already have a few degrees.

I suggest you contact the schools you are interested in applying to and ask them directly. You'll probably find that they won't care where you did your Calc.

cbennett said:
I haven't looked specifically at any of the schools pages yet but i was told by premed advisor that one year college math and at alot of schools calc 1+2 were required. Maybe not? I sure hope she didn't pull this out of her ass. I will check on this tonight good call.

Hate to say it, but she performed a brown-arm extraction... Some schools do, but the vast majority do not. Get a book on medical schools, and look through it to see what things ARE required. You'd realistically be better off taking something that you enjoy, or that would really strengthen your app package, rather than calc (unless your dream school requires it). Try Spanish, or some higher-level bio or chem courses. I enjoyed Virology a lot, and advanced Organic and Biochem were tough, but impressive to have on the transcript.