This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurosa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently in a cc (philosophy major) and my councelor told me to take Calc 1 and 2 as a premed requirement together with calc based Physics. This semester I am taking Calc 1 and Chem 102 (lecture and lab) and philosophy and both chemistry and Calc 1 has been kicking my butt in terms of work I need to do. I just passed precalc last semester with a B (but barely). I just spend sometime googling and it seems that my councillor was wrong and calc 2 isn't a prereq and so is calc 1? But stats seems more important. (please tell me if I am wrong!)
I want to protect my gpa and focus all my attention on Chem 102 but I am a couple of days passed my school's deadline of dropping the course without a W and I already have a couple and would like to avoid more. It seems like my options are:
- Talk to my math department and see if I can change internally from Calc to stats without W notation. (I don't know if this is possible but I know with my precalc the option was given to go from precalc to precalc A (which was only half of precalc) after the deadline of dropping without W had passed
- Take both chem 102 and calc 1 and maybe take a gpa hit on both. (My firsts exams are next week, but I don't feel prepared at all and I am so lost in both lectures)
- Drop Calc 1 and take the W (again, already have a couple of W's so this is not my favourite option)
-Switch Calc to a pass/ no pass so I can at least not focus about the letter grade. I just don't know if this can be done/if it is a good idea/ if it would bring me trouble with transferring/ will it still counts as credits taken towards IGETC (applying this cycle to UC's)/ how will these be seen by med adcoms?

What should I do in this situation. I am terrified of failing chem 102, and I don't feel like my councelors know what they are doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools generally require "math," but that does not have to be calculus. In fact, more schools would push for you to take statistics. Try to switch to stats or see if you can get your advisors to explain to your registrar that you were mistaken in your need for the course to try to drop without a W. P/F is not the worst option, but usually doesn't count for credits. You would have to take an additional math course to fulfill the math requirement

A few things.

1. Relax
2. No, your advisors don’t know what they are doing and, in fact, never will
3. I’m unaware of any school that requires Calc 2. I think I saw once a school that required Calc 1 but I can’t recall. Anyway, most wont require it.
4. If you’re struggling with calculus, don’t take calculus based physics. Take algebra based. Also counts. Way easier people say.

It sounds like you are struggling. Not uncommon for someone getting used to college-level work. However, you need to sort it out because if you want to succeed as a premed you will have much bigger challenges ahead than taking two intro level STEM courses at once. Not trying to be mean, just honest. Use your school’s learning center to find out where you can improve and make sure you are exhausting every resource provided by the lecturer to succeed. Some people need to work harder at the beginning to stay ahead. If that’s you, you’ll need to get help. Join a study group with people who are doing well. Talk to the prof about improving, etc.

The trick to any math based course is first: always understand the concept behind the equation. Why does the equation look the way it does? This is not a trivial skill but it is also the most important and it’s never taught in school for some reason, probably because it’s really hard and abstract. Second: practice, practice, practice. Know every type of problem (also be able to classify problems into types in your head for each unit) before it shows up on the test backwards and forwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
A vast majority of medical schools do not require calculus. Your advisor probably recommended calculus because there are other types of health profession schools that more commonly require a semester of calculus -- e.g., optometry schools.

Do not take Calculus 2; take statistics and/or Calculus 1. Do not take calculus-based physics; take algebra-based physics.

If you are struggling with introductory courses in community college, then you need to change your study habits as soon as possible. Read your textbook, review your notes, Google terms you don't understand, watch YouTube explanations, try to solve every practice problem you can find and thoughtfully check your answers -- do all of this until your understanding is so strong that you'd be comfortable with teaching the material to somebody else.

Best of luck!

Hi guys,

I am currently in a cc (philosophy major) and my councelor told me to take Calc 1 and 2 as a premed requirement together with calc based Physics. This semester I am taking Calc 1 and Chem 102 (lecture and lab) and philosophy and both chemistry and Calc 1 has been kicking my butt in terms of work I need to do. I just passed precalc last semester with a B (but barely). I just spend sometime googling and it seems that my councillor was wrong and calc 2 isn't a prereq and so is calc 1? But stats seems more important. (please tell me if I am wrong!)
I want to protect my gpa and focus all my attention on Chem 102 but I am a couple of days passed my school's deadline of dropping the course without a W and I already have a couple and would like to avoid more. It seems like my options are:
- Talk to my math department and see if I can change internally from Calc to stats without W notation. (I don't know if this is possible but I know with my precalc the option was given to go from precalc to precalc A (which was only half of precalc) after the deadline of dropping without W had passed
- Take both chem 102 and calc 1 and maybe take a gpa hit on both. (My firsts exams are next week, but I don't feel prepared at all and I am so lost in both lectures)
- Drop Calc 1 and take the W (again, already have a couple of W's so this is not my favourite option)
-Switch Calc to a pass/ no pass so I can at least not focus about the letter grade. I just don't know if this can be done/if it is a good idea/ if it would bring me trouble with transferring/ will it still counts as credits taken towards IGETC (applying this cycle to UC's)/ how will these be seen by med adcoms?

What should I do in this situation. I am terrified of failing chem 102, and I don't feel like my councelors know what they are doing.

I personally HATE Stats. I used to be a Math major so Calc was my true love. On a serious note, there are a ton of Math vids on Calc 1. The problem with Calc I have noticed isn’t the Calc part, it’s the Algebra. Many who take it are not as strong in the Algebra as they may have thought. Calc has a way of weeding out your weaknesses. Since it’s probably too late to drop, I recommend Michael Van Biezan on YouTube, guys is a genius and is excellent at diluting the info so you understand. He is also very good about showing all the steps and explaining why.

As far as Physics w/ Calc...the Calc they do use is so basic. It’s really not that big of a deal. Stats is more important in Medicine for I guess the genetics part and etc. I simply don’t like it because it seems arbitrary to(but that’s my personal opinion).

As far as Chemistry goes, as you may already know but Khan Academy is Amazing. His Chem section was not around when I was in college at the time but is really good.

Hope this helps! Just know after Calc, the only Math you “need” is Stats and some MedSchools prefer you take BioStats.