Community college to T5 possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Allen Iverson

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starting at a CC in the fall due to financial reasons and will be transferring to my state school (T50) next year. From what I‘ve read online I should be good as long as I have a strong application overall but I literally have not found anyone who has a similar situation as me make it into to a T5. Basically, Im looking for ANY examples of premed students who started at cc and ended up at T5 med schools. If anyone knows anyone I would love to connect 😭✌️
 
You can get into medical school if you go to a community college. Lots of people do. It's just financially sensible considering... *gestures vaguely at everything*.

Why are people so preoccupied with these mickey mouse school rankings? The best medical school is the one you get into that isn't LUCOM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why a T5? What is it about a T5 that makes it desirable in your mind? Why do you want to be a physician and why does attending a T5 make a difference in that regard?

You need not answer to me but you do need to contemplate why your self-worth is tied to attending an extremely highly ranked research university medical school.
 
My school (a T5 school in my personal rankings 😉) has matriculated students who started in CCs. While not common at my school, I also remember at least one student who completed all of their undergraduate studies in a CC, but there were other factors that helped them overcome the biases associated with CCs (personal story, military and service background, great MCAT and research, etc).

As long you have coursework done at a university that shows continued academic excellence, I do not think that starting in a CC will hurt you. Just my thoughts.
 
Stanford is what you're looking for! It's actually part of their mission and they even have a promt in their secondary for CC. I personally know several CC transfers there! However, they all had very strong applications, with high research and 515+ MCAT