Calc based physics 2 or algebra based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue39*

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just look at my grade and have received a B in physics 207 which is the calc based physics. It is 5 credits and it brought my gpa down to a 3.678 and I’m terribly upset about it and am now insure if I should take 208 or move down to the 202 algebra based physics. I can’t take anymore hits to my gpa. Pls help

Members don't see this ad.

Calculus-based physics is obviously more difficult. The second semester (E&M, primarily) is more difficult than first semester (mechanics). The problems are more challenging, and the material is less tangible. If your grade/GPA is your only concern, finish with algebra-based physics. That said, you'll also need to be ready to defend that decision when you apply to schools.

That said, you'll also need to be ready to defend that decision when you apply to schools.

I doubt that Adcoms will raise a question regarding this matter.

OP you don't need to take calc-based physics 2. Take the algebra-based physics 2 since algebra-based is all you need for the MCAT.

I believe schools only require 1 year of physics and lab, so you should be fine doing this...

I took calc based physics, as well as some fancy math classes my freshman year. Adcoms didn’t seem to care.