Applying Without US-Based Clinical Experience/Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Analog_Emeritus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(This is based on the WAMC and other threads I've read here)

You need US-based clinical experience to get into a US medical school. There is a chance your work in Africa may be seen as voluntourism if that's the only clinical exp you have, whether it was or not. 200 hours is on the low side for a lotof the schools you listed, and on top of that it is foreign experience. I don't think your app in its current state is competitive at all, simply due to the ECs. Make sure you have shadowing with US physicians!! That's the whole point.

If you can get a year of clinical experience in the US (full-time or even half-time work as a scribe should give you 1000+ hours), I think you'll be in tip-top shape and will see a lot of success. Without it, I really don't think you should apply.

Is your nonclinical work also outside of the US as well?

Additionally, do not bother applying to UCR, UNC, LSU, and Minnesota. You have no ties to those regions/states, and you'll be wasting your app money. You will be yield-protected from Drexel and Gtown, so there's no point applying to those schools either.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, you need US clinical and shadowing experience not from Africa. Since you are in Africa more than couple of weeks I don't think adcoms will see your service as voluntourism. After getting those experiences you can add WashU and Vanderbilt.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely need clinical experiences and shadowing in the US.Are any of your activities in the US? There isn’t much on your application that says you want to be a doctor let alone a doctor in the US. There are millions of Americans that can use your skills and help to better their lives.
why do you think you might be a CA resident?
Nice MCAT score. Congratulations.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are amazing and your activities are also excellent and unique, especially with your focus/dedication towards underserved global health in Africa, this is going to be a standout activity and will get your lots of attention - you are in the running to be a top tier applicant. I think you would likely get interviews even if your clinical experience is mostly international.

However, I would say you should have some experience in the USA to check the box, even if it's just a few dozen hours of shadowing - I think this can only help. It's totally fine that you want to continue your work in Africa, and you absolutely should if you like it. Ironically maybe you could come back to the USA temporarily and check the box with shadowing or volunteering for a few weeks (do some USA based voluntourism, haha).

By the way Mount Sinai has a good focus on global health, especially in the Surgery department - look into the facility they made in Uganda. May want to apply there too. Also consider NYU, they fund global health research for their students.