Calc during glide year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura8924

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I've searched all over and can't seem to find the answer to this question and am getting all kinds of conflicting info.

I am planning to apply to med school in 2014 and I haven't taken any college math courses yet.

Will taking calc I cover all my bases and can it be taken during the glide year or do I absolutely have to take it before I apply to schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools will require a year of math, and for most of them a semester of stats and calc will be fine. You don't have to take it before you apply though, you just have to finish pre-reqs before you matriculate (with a few exceptions, e.g. UC Davis). It's generally a good idea to have most pre-reqs completed before applying--so if it's just calculus you haven't taken, you'll be fine.

Ok so I actually need to be taking both Stats and Calc 1? Would taking both of those in the glide year look bad? I can probably squeeze one in before I apply but it might hurt my grades or my ability to study for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I actually need to be taking both Stats and Calc 1? Would taking both of those in the glide year look bad? I can probably squeeze one in before I apply but it might hurt my grades or my ability to study for the MCAT.

If everything else is solid, I doubt it would hurt you. It's such a subjective process though that you probably won't get any concrete answers. I would definitely take statistics though... it's extremely relevant to medicine. Actually, it's extremely relevant to just about everything. I would take stats over calculus if I had to choose.

As long as you designate them as future courses and take them before you matriculate, it will not be a problem.

As long as you have shown yourself to be academically strong in other coursework, it's probably fine. Focusing on the MCAT is more important.