calc II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should an MD/PhD applicant certainly have completed calculus II? Even if it isn't a requirement for the med school, would it be fishy to not have completed calc II if you are pursuing such a scientific career?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd definately say so - diffQ is even more useful biologically i think. take as much math as you can - i never thought i'd be dealing with linear algebra, diffQ, bayesian statistics in biology but its there if you choose it.
-jot

Take at least a year of calc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking back on it, I would have taken more math, harder physics, and additional chemistry courses. Not so much that you directly use it in biology (unless you go into very specific types of research), but these subjects form the basic principles of what is done in research. Having a quantitative, fundamental understanding or approach can help in more advanced courses such as macromolecules, molecular biology, etc. It surely would have helped me understand molecular interactions and more quantitative approaches to biology.

I think it is very good if you can study at least upto Differential Equations and some basic Linear Algebra. Differential Equations and Calc 3 are about the most "applicable" classes. And they should be treated as such, in my opinion.

At least Calc 2? No, I think at least Calc 3 (three)! Some schools make Calc 2 = Multivariable Calculus. I think this is a much better way.

It's not essential..but it's useful. I don't see why advanced physics classes are useful though; but this is probably because I've never taken any. :)

I think it's a good idea to know at least calculus if you'll be doing research; but I doubt more than that is necessary. For me, I probably overdid it on the math :D . I'll guess that I've taken over 25 math courses beyond differential equations. I'm honestly not too sure how much this will help, but the veterans seem to think I'll be grateful I did it.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Original:
•I think it's a good idea to know at least calculus if you'll be doing research; but I doubt more than that is necessary. For me, I probably overdid it on the math :D . I'll guess that I've taken over 25 math courses beyond differential equations. I'm honestly not too sure how much this will help, but the veterans seem to think I'll be grateful I did it.•••••25 math courses BEYOND diff eq? Thats like 2 semesters of solid math coursework! My school only had perhaps 7 or 8 courses beyond diff eq that the math majors could take.

It's more like 2 yrs straight of solid math actually :D . My school also had less than 10 undergrad math courses beyond diff eq, but I went straight through and got my MS in pure math. It was a seamless BS/MS accelerated program. I started taking the grad courses in my junior year.