1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

calc nightmare! help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by epsilonprodigy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. epsilonprodigy

epsilonprodigy Physicist Enough
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A few questions from a non-trad applying this year. I am applying to a couple of schools that want a semester of calculus. I have taken 2 semesters of stats already in undergrad. Problem is, I have to take a math placement test in order to get a spot! I'm good at math but haven't seen some of this stuff since high school, so I'm nervous that they'll put me in pre-calc. How bad would that look?! Since I'm already applying, would it be advisable to just take calc at a community college, assuming that they wouldn't insist on a placement test?

Also, I am having a few issues figuring out the biochem requirement from a few schools. I took a lecture class that was 4 credits. Do I need to take a lab too? I'm just paranoid that now that things are actually on their way, I'll find that I'm deficient in some random class.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stumpyman

7+ Year Member

Usually community colleges also have a placement test. Another option is taking it online, although there are obvious downsides to that.

4. JESSFALLING

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you can't pass the placement test, then you shouldn't take calculus. Why subject yourself to a course which assumes a certain sub-set of knowledge if you've long forgotten it? Also, you don't need to take calc before you apply...That way, if you don't get an interview at a "calc required" school you can skip the class altogether! Sound good?

That said, there is an easy solution for you if you decide to take the class: khanacademy.org :) Before you take the pre-test, review his videos on Algebra, Trig, and Precalc.....together, they cover everything you need to know.

Lastly, no biochem 'lab' is needed unless you are using it as a substitute for OChem II....which is only allowable at a few select schools (should be everywhere, darn it!)

Good luck!

5. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you can't pass a placement test to get into calculus, you shouldn't be in calculus.

That said, it's mostly algebra / intmd algebra stuff for a real placement test, and even easier for a general placement test for community college. Go learn the equations for a parabola, hyperbola, circle, and ellipse and how to do work with exponents, logs, and vectors and you'd be fine.

I used to tutor intermediate algebra, and it's NOT hard.

6. cham90

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

7. StudyShy

StudyShy XOXO
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think that you'd be fine. All you need is trig and algebra. I can't remember, but you've already taken the MCAT right?