1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

calc nightmare! help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by epsilonprodigy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. epsilonprodigy

epsilonprodigy Physicist Enough
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A few questions from a non-trad applying this year. I am applying to a couple of schools that want a semester of calculus. I have taken 2 semesters of stats already in undergrad. Problem is, I have to take a math placement test in order to get a spot! I'm good at math but haven't seen some of this stuff since high school, so I'm nervous that they'll put me in pre-calc. How bad would that look?! Since I'm already applying, would it be advisable to just take calc at a community college, assuming that they wouldn't insist on a placement test?

Also, I am having a few issues figuring out the biochem requirement from a few schools. I took a lecture class that was 4 credits. Do I need to take a lab too? I'm just paranoid that now that things are actually on their way, I'll find that I'm deficient in some random class.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stumpyman

7+ Year Member

Usually community colleges also have a placement test. Another option is taking it online, although there are obvious downsides to that.

4. JESSFALLING

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you can't pass the placement test, then you shouldn't take calculus. Why subject yourself to a course which assumes a certain sub-set of knowledge if you've long forgotten it? Also, you don't need to take calc before you apply...That way, if you don't get an interview at a "calc required" school you can skip the class altogether! Sound good?

That said, there is an easy solution for you if you decide to take the class: khanacademy.org :) Before you take the pre-test, review his videos on Algebra, Trig, and Precalc.....together, they cover everything you need to know.

Lastly, no biochem 'lab' is needed unless you are using it as a substitute for OChem II....which is only allowable at a few select schools (should be everywhere, darn it!)

Good luck!

5. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you can't pass a placement test to get into calculus, you shouldn't be in calculus.

That said, it's mostly algebra / intmd algebra stuff for a real placement test, and even easier for a general placement test for community college. Go learn the equations for a parabola, hyperbola, circle, and ellipse and how to do work with exponents, logs, and vectors and you'd be fine.

I used to tutor intermediate algebra, and it's NOT hard.

6. cham90

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

7. StudyShy

StudyShy XOXO
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think that you'd be fine. All you need is trig and algebra. I can't remember, but you've already taken the MCAT right?