Calc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hapworth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm truly interested in Pharmacy, but first I need to fulfill prerequisites. I'm looking at a community college catalog and Calculus scares the @**# out of me more than any other pre-req. It's been years since high school (I'm thirty-three), and since I majored in lit in college, I escaped any serious math classes. My question: what math classes should I absolutely take before I enroll in calculus? Obviously, if I enroll in a calc class immediately, I'll be destroyed. On the other hand, I'd like to avoid having to take courses upon courses (algebra, trig, geometry,). Did other people face the same worries?

Hapworth 16, 1924

Members don't see this ad.

Hapworth said:
My question: what math classes should I absolutely take before I enroll in calculus?

It is absolutely crucial for you to have a thorough understanding of algebra AND trigonometry prior to calculus. No way around it. Sorry.

FutureRxGal said:
It is absolutely crucial for you to have a thorough understanding of algebra AND trigonometry prior to calculus. No way around it. Sorry.

The CC will most likely have pre-reqs for the Calculus class. You can usually test out of them, or depending on your previous standardized test scores (like SAT), you may be considered "above" the basic math classes. Since I had a lot of math in high school, I went straight to pre-cal and then calc. If you dont remeber much about algebra, then I would definitely take that before calc. I never took trig, and the only exposure I had to that kind of material was in pre-cal. I did very well in calc without trig. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
rxaggie2005 said:
The CC will most likely have pre-reqs for the Calculus class. You can usually test out of them, or depending on your previous standardized test scores (like SAT), you may be considered "above" the basic math classes. Since I had a lot of math in high school, I went straight to pre-cal and then calc. If you dont remeber much about algebra, then I would definitely take that before calc. I never took trig, and the only exposure I had to that kind of material was in pre-cal. I did very well in calc without trig. Good luck!

I took pre-calc in high school, and it was just a fancy name for trig. ;) In my college calculus class, there was no escaping the trig stuff. The bottom line is if someone doesn't know a lick about sines, cosines, tangents, etc., calculus can be more difficult than it should be.

FutureRxGal said:
I took pre-calc in high school, and it was just a fancy name for trig. ;) In my college calculus class, there was no escaping the trig stuff. The bottom line is if someone doesn't know a lick about sines, cosines, tangents, etc., calculus can be more difficult than it should be.

I took pre-calc in college, and it was just a fancy name for trig, too.

I returned to school in my 40's and was comfortable starting with pre-calc. I had to pass an assessment test first, to make sure my algebra skills were still intact.

Don't let yourself get psyched out thinking Calculus is hard/impossible -- it's not. Calculus is a cut and dry subject once you have the basics of algebra and trig down. If you can afford the tuition, definitely take a pre-calculus class. Taking pre-calculus before you take Physics will make the latter course cake. :cool:

crossjb said:
Don't let yourself get psyched out thinking Calculus is hard/impossible -- it's not. Calculus is a cut and dry subject once you have the basics of algebra and trig down. If you can afford the tuition, definitely take a pre-calculus class. Taking pre-calculus before you take Physics will make the latter course cake. :cool:
i'm going to disagree and say that passing completely depends on the instructor.....

I was in a calculus class 3 different times..... the last time i wised up and went to a community college during the summer and it was online.... plus after #2 i could have passed it anywhere....

I had taken precalc and was just out of HS...

my advice is going to be to look at the number of hours required for pharm school and find the easiest version possible... like "basic calculus"
if you are going to a university... make sure there are NO engineers in your class or one is not teaching it. that is not necessiary for pharm school......

Moral... talk to others.. find an easy instructor/location.

you could tale some form of toutorial ir get one of those cal for dummies books that way you avoid actualy having to take the math class however thats only for some people. you may concider sleeping your way through pharm school. bribery or blackmale may work as well. :D

Dr.bird said:
you could tale some form of toutorial ir get one of those cal for dummies books that way you avoid actualy having to take the math class however thats only for some people. you may concider sleeping your way through pharm school. bribery or blackmale may work as well. :D

Do they make a spelling for dummies book?

I too was one of those people deathly afriad of calculus. I'm taking it now on-line and it is not so bad. I even took pre-cal online and passed it after taking it two times in a classroom setting. To avoid taking algebra in order to get by in pre-cal and cal. I recommend getting this book. It helped me out quite a bit without taking algebra after 3 yrs.

Forgotten Algebra
ISBN: 0764120085

Personally I have no idea how you could 'forget algebra.'

But then again I can forget stuff about plants that perhaps an infinitesimal perfect of the population cares to remember :rolleyes:

But that is irrelevant. If I were you, I would get someone's notes who did the course with sample tests and finals. Very accessible from the internet.

I would also try to find a tutor if you couldn't learn it on your own, then perhaps taking an online course or registering at your community college. If you don't take many courses you'll have a lot of time to focus on practice... it's really not impossible.

laronb_3 said:
I too was one of those people deathly afriad of calculus. I'm taking it now on-line and it is not so bad. I even took pre-cal online and passed it after taking it two times in a classroom setting. To avoid taking algebra in order to get by in pre-cal and cal. I recommend getting this book. It helped me out quite a bit without taking algebra after 3 yrs.

Forgotten Algebra

Just curious, but how is it possible to take calculus online? Would this be through a university or a separate online school? I would like to take a few of my remaining prereqs online if possible, but I doubt lab classes would be offered online (like Genetics).

I took pre-cal online, the classes are offer through your university or community college. When I was taking my pre-cal class, the professor assigned chapters that we had to read , homeworks .etc.... and you basically have to teach yourself.

Like laronb_3 , I decided to take Pre-cal online after dropping it twice in the classrooom. Calculus I was way easier than pre-cal... so don't be afraid, just do it " nike".

If you can test out of taking the other courses that are the pre-req for Calc, what I would strongly suggest is taking an audit (or sitting through a calc class). But only do it if you feel that your math is strong enough. Last semester, I did an audit (non-graded) course in Calculus and did all the homework and took all the exams. Usually professors like people who aren't getting a grade for that course, but are doing the work as if they were in the class. Now that I'm taking Calculus for a grade, I'm breezing through it because I've already covered everything before. I hope this helps! Good luck! :luck:

starsweet said:
Just curious, but how is it possible to take calculus online? Would this be through a university or a separate online school? I would like to take a few of my remaining prereqs online if possible, but I doubt lab classes would be offered online (like Genetics).

I am currently taking a course on-line (Anatomy and Physio I with lab). It is difficult to find courses on-line but not impossible. You can probably find all the prereqs on-line if you needed to. All from accredited colleges or universities. Sometimes it is better to take courses all over the place so you don't put all your eggs in one basket (if you know what I mean). So if you screw up, you can take it somewhere else without having to post that bad grade. There are also some schools that will post the better of two grades and omit the poorer one. Anyway this is my strategy.

laronb_3 said:

Forgotten Algebra

Where did you take pre-cal and Calculus online.???? I do well when I study on my own so this would be great for me...

Agape

sunnyjohn said:
Where did you take pre-cal and Calculus online.???? I do well when I study on my own so this would be great for me...

Agape

I took pre-cal and cal at my local community college. They were very good classes , the only draw back is the books are really really expensive. I've provided a link below.

http://www.accd.edu

laronb_3 said:
I took pre-cal and cal at my local community college. They were very good classes , the only draw back is the books are really really expensive. I've provided a link below.

http://www.accd.edu

thanks for the info! Did you have to go in to take the tests? Set up a proctor? Or were they online too?

agape

sunnyjohn said:
thanks for the info! Did you have to go in to take the tests? Set up a proctor? Or were they online too?

agape

Sunnyjohn,

I had to go in to take the test for both cal and pre-cal. I believe they have some sort of option where you can take the test at some approved offsite.

Thanks for the info.... I will check this out... you may ahve saved me spome time. I do better when I study on my own.

good fortune.

Agape