Unsure whether to withdraw from calc 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepharmstudent77

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am hoping to apply for early decision to UW-Madison and have been told I would make a great candidate by Altschafl, who even offered me an interview before I put in an application. I am currently completing the pre-reqs along with my current program requirements but am switching my program in order to graduate on time. I am taking calc 2 but am not doing well and would like to withdraw to avoid hurting my GPA. Since I am changing my program, I do not need the course however, I'm afraid of how a withdrawal will look on my transcript given the withdrawals I had from my first semester in college. I had a pretty serious dilemma that led me to withdraw from all of my courses and take a gap year, but came back to school and have been earning A's ever since. Overall, do you recommend I take the W and save my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say for you to withdraw. As weak as this advice may sound, since you already have enough withdrawals, one more withdrawal would not hurt, especially if getting that grade will kill your GPA. However, make sure you ask an academic counselor at your school for professional advice!

Good luck! ♥️

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I am hoping to apply for early decision to UW-Madison and have been told I would make a great candidate by Altschafl, who even offered me an interview before I put in an application. I am currently completing the pre-reqs along with my current program requirements but am switching my program in order to graduate on time. I am taking calc 2 but am not doing well and would like to withdraw to avoid hurting my GPA. Since I am changing my program, I do not need the course however, I'm afraid of how a withdrawal will look on my transcript given the withdrawals I had from my first semester in college. I had a pretty serious dilemma that led me to withdraw from all of my courses and take a gap year, but came back to school and have been earning A's ever since. Overall, do you recommend I take the W and save my GPA?

1) What’s your overall GPA? cGPA vs sGPA

2) Are you getting a bachelors or just finishing prerequisites? You made it sound like a BA when you say program requirements but not sure.

3) if your applying for early decision, your talking about applying next application cycle since early decision deadlines were Sept 4th this past year. Yet you say a possible interview without even sending an application....I’m a bit confused on what your goal is.

If you can avoid it, don’t withdraw unless your absolutely sure you will fail. A “W” is never good, but with certain programs many will let it slide. However, if your currently failing, you won’t get a W, it’ll be a “WF” which will be calculated towards your GPA.

Hi guys,

Have you consulted with a tutor? That is the first question I would ask if a student came into my office with your situation.