Calculated GPA? Do I have any chance?

Started by Scythe64
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Scythe64

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am currently in the process of applying to several physical therapy schools. I know that becoming a physical therapist is what I want to do. However, I had a rough first two years of college and now its come back to haunt me during this whole process. I have tried so hard to make up for the first two years and just recently managed to get my GPA higher than a 3.0, but the calculation on PTCAS is significantly lower. I was wondering if schools actually do calculate the GPA of each applicant or if they use the GPA they see in PTCAS? Here are my stats.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.19 (this is what I graduated with)
PTCAS GPA: 2.68
Schools plan on applying to: Touro (Bayshore, Manhatten, NV), MCPHS, Mercy College, Western U, MSMC, University of North Florida, Hampton U
 
I would imagine that most schools have so many applicants that they just use the GPA on PTCAS. What is your pre-req GPA? and how many of those courses in your GPA are retakes?
 
I would recommend you make sure the schools you apply to recalculate your GPA based on retakes. This is what I had to do. I have found that a lot of private schools recalculate and only use the GPA they calculate. I know the UNF looks at your highest attempt.