calculating AMCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angie_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some S grades on my transcripts, what does this convert to? because I looked on the AMCAS grade conversion table and it has two spots for S grades so I dont know which one is the correct one, and how about Passing grades with a P?

Members don't see this ad.

From the 2015 AMCAS Instruction Manual:
"Courses with the AMCAS grades listed below are not included in the GPA calculations. Instead, the total hours for each of these categories are reported to medical schools under the heading Supplemental Hours.
Pass/Fail–Pass
Pass/Fail–Fail
Advanced Placement (AP) Credit
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Other Test Credit"
So your pass/fail classes won't count towards your GPA, but they'll see that you passed them. I have no idea what an "S" is, so I can't help you with that.

At my university S is Satisfactory in a course taken Satisfactory/Fail and indicates a grade of D- or higher.

I guess this is the same as P.

I don't see what you mean about two spots for S grades? Is this in the AMCAS system? For entering grades there I thought you just would type in your grade of S and check the Pass/Fail box.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my university S is Satisfactory in a course taken Satisfactory/Fail and indicates a grade of D- or higher.

I guess this is the same as P.

I don't see what you mean about two spots for S grades? Is this in the AMCAS system? For entering grades there I thought you just would type in your grade of S and check the Pass/Fail box.
I think she's referring to this chart: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf where S is part of an A/B/C/D/F-like grading scheme. Looking at the chart again, it seems that whether an S translates to an A, B, or C depends on what the grading scheme is. If it is H/S+/S/S-/U, the S is a C. If it is E/S/M/I/F, the S is a B. If it is S/H/P/LP/F, the S is an A.

But if OP is referring to a class that is graded satisfactory/unsatisfactory, that's the same as pass/fail and it won't count towards the GPA.

I think she's referring to this chart: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf where S is part of an A/B/C/D/F-like grading scheme. Looking at the chart again, it seems that whether an S translates to an A, B, or C depends on what the grading scheme is. If it is H/S+/S/S-/U, the S is a C. If it is E/S/M/I/F, the S is a B. If it is S/H/P/LP/F, the S is an A.

But if OP is referring to a class that is graded satisfactory/unsatisfactory, that's the same as pass/fail and it won't count towards the GPA.

Yes thats exactly right i was referring to that! Thanks alot! So now i know :)