Calculating GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoastieLT

El hombre mas interesante
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm trying to formulate a plan to increase my GPA and become more competitive for Osteopathy School. In order to focus my energy towards the best approach, could anyone explain how do Medical Schools in general calculate your UGGPA? I have read that there are several ways to do this...

Can anyone point me out to the most widely used method?

Do they count every class?
For example:
General Biology (4 Credit Hours)
First time – Grade D (4 honor points)
First Repeat - Grade C (8 honor points)
Post Baccalaureate – A (16 honor points)
(28/12) 2.33 GPA

Or do they use the final grade on the Baccalaureate...
Example:
First time – Grade D (Not completed)
(23/8)
3.00 GPA

Or do they use the final grade from the Post-Baccalaureate...

First Repeat - Grade C (repeated)
Post Baccalaureate - A (16 honor points)
(16/4)
4.00 GPA

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings!

I'm trying to formulate a plan to increase my GPA and become more competitive for Osteopathy School. In order to focus my energy towards the best approach, could anyone explain how do Medical Schools in general calculate your UGGPA? I have read that there are several ways to do this...

Can anyone point me out to the most widely used method?

Do they count every class?
For example:
First time – Grade D (4 honor points)
(28/12) 2.33 GPA

Or do they use the final grade on the Baccalaureate...
Example:
(23/8)
3.00 GPA

Or do they use the final grade from the Post-Baccalaureate...

First Repeat - Grade C (repeated)
Post Baccalaureate - A (16 honor points)
(16/4)
4.00 GPA

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!
There must be something elaborate on the website, but from what I remember, but the GPA calculations are split up into each of your four years of undergrad, postbac, and graduate. A total for your undergraduate career is calculated along with a separate cumulative undergrad (including postbacc)

Quality points:
A = 4, B = 3, etc...

Quality points / Semester hours = GPA

I'm not sure what an incomplete does to a GPA. If you receive a grade on your transcript, it is calculated.

1st Semester Bio (4 semester hours)
First Try (C = 8.0 quality points)
Second Try (A = 16.0 quality points)

AACOMAS, takes the most recent grade, so 16/4 = 4.0

Second example:

2nd Semester Bio (5 semester hours with honors adjunct)
First Try (B = 15 quality points)

Since the most recent grade is counted in the case of a retake :

Cum Quality points / Cum semester hours = Cum GPA

(16 + 15)/(4 + 5) = 3.44 GPA.

Hope this helps.

but what happens if you take it again and you get a lower grade?!?!?! for example, ochem first time around I got a D+ in the class and an A in the lab. second time around but as an upper division course at a different institution, the class and lab are integrated and i made a B. will the B replace both grades? i know the B is way better than the D+, but since i'm on the cusp, i need every point i can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your pre-med advisor will know. Contact him or her. Am I the only one that liked organic? The electron xfer was soothing. Ozonolysis, doesn't get much better than that, besides, of course, using mCPBA, haha.

but what happens if you take it again and you get a lower grade?!?!?! for example, ochem first time around I got a D+ in the class and an A in the lab. second time around but as an upper division course at a different institution, the class and lab are integrated and i made a B. will the B replace both grades? i know the B is way better than the D+, but since i'm on the cusp, i need every point i can get.
The higher grade will count towards your GPA. Why did you take the lab again? If you think you'll do worse, drop the course. Receiving a W is better than receiving a C or worse. This means that if you receive a B or better, don't bother retaking the course.

Edited, the higher grade is not counted, but rather the most recent grade. It is in your best interest to invest the time and effort to ensure that grade is higher second time around. Both courses will be entered into the AAMCOMAS, with the first one indicated as a "retake." The grade will only be entered for the retaken course and that will be the grade that the AACOMAS uses to calculate your GPA.

The higher grade will count towards your GPA. Why did you take the lab again? If you think you'll do worse, drop the course. Receiving a W is better than receiving a C or worse. This means that if you receive a B or better, don't bother retaking the course.

the lab is integrated with the lecture. that's the only way you can do ochem at this institution. they're two completely separate entities, but you get one combined grade where the lab points add to the total number of lecture points. and no W's are given out here unless i withdraw from all my classes. something about trying to be gatekeepers, so I's and W's are rarely given out unless you have extenuating circumstances.

There must be something elaborate on the website, but from what I remember, but the GPA calculations are split up into each of your four years of undergrad, postbac, and graduate. A total for your undergraduate career is calculated along with a separate cumulative undergrad (including postbacc)

Quality points:
A = 4, B = 3, etc...

I'm not sure what an incomplete does to a GPA. If you receive a grade on your transcript, it is calculated.

AACOMAS, takes the higher grade, so 16/4 = 4.0

Second example:

Since only the highest grade is counted in the case of a retake :

Hope this helps.

You are wrong! When calculating retakes, the AACOMAS does not calculate the higher grade of the two. They take the most recent grade of the two. For instance, if you make a B in a class the first time and decide to retake it in hopes of making an "A" but instead you end up making a "C" they will average in the "C". Usually the more recent grade will be the higher of the two because a class should be easier the second time around. You should at least read the FAQs portion of this forum before giving advice.

According to clc, you'll have to keep your B in the retake of the lab. Sorry.

Quality points:
A = 4, B = 3, etc...

AACOMAS, takes the most recent grade, so 16/4 = 4.0

Second example:

Since the most recent grade is counted in the case of a retake :

Hope this helps.
:thumbup:

I failed precalc as a freshmen and retook it and got an A. My GPA now is a 3.65, so on my ACOMAS they will see my GPA as a 3.65 right?

I think that makes much more sense, I dont think the AMCAS is like that, at least thats not what all the dudes in the pre-allo forum are saying.

ACOMAS rules haha.

I failed precalc as a freshmen and retook it and got an A. My GPA now is a 3.65, so on my ACOMAS they will see my GPA as a 3.65 right?

I think that makes much more sense, I dont think the AMCAS is like that, at least thats not what all the dudes in the pre-allo forum are saying.

ACOMAS rules haha.
AMCAS factors in both grades.