Calculating Volunteer Hours for Special Circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altitude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would I count my volunteering hours for the following scenario:
I volunteered at a sleep-away camp for 3 weeks (24/7) where I was actively volunteering with the campers from 8AM-10PM (and slept at the camp at night).

Would I calculate the hours that I'm awake per day: approximately 14 hrs/day x 7 days/week = 98 hours/week

Or

Would I calculate the total hours (since I slept at the place I volunteer): 24 hrs/day x 7 days per week = 168 hours/week

If the first option is right, then does that mean that I accumulated 294 hrs volunteer hours (96 hrs/week x 3 weeks) here?

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered at a sleep-away camp for 3 weeks (24/7) where I was actively volunteering with the campers from 8AM-10PM (and slept at the camp at night).

Would I calculate the hours that I'm awake per day: approximately 14 hrs/day x 7 days/week = 98 hours/week

Or

Would I calculate the total hours (since I slept at the place I volunteer): 24 hrs/day x 7 days per week = 168 hours/week

If the first option is right, then does that mean that I accumulated 294 hrs volunteer hours (96 hrs/week x 3 weeks) here?

If you were on duty while you slept (campers could wake you up if they needed you), I'd go with 168. If you were off-duty, I'd go with 96.

Or

did you help anybody while you were sleeping? of course not. don't try to inflate your hours...it's not worth the risk

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I did not help anybody while I was sleeping I am going to stick with the first option. However, I completely agree with BrandNewDay's point. And if I would have been in the situation where I was woken up every so often, I would have considered adding additional hours (although maybe not to the extent of 24 hrs/day).

Thanks for the help.

Was that considered time to yourself where you weren't going to be bothered because someone else as "on duty", or if a kid had a problem would you need to attend to it?

Was that considered time to yourself where you weren't going to be bothered because someone else as "on duty", or if a kid had a problem would you need to attend to it?

As I mentioned, I was never on duty past 10 PM and wasn't the one who would have to attend to kids during the night, which is why I'm sticking with 14 hrs/day.

You are only asked to provide the month/year that you started and the month/year that you ended plus the average number of hours per week. Don't ever use 168 hrs/wk; it is not physiological possible.

You are only asked to provide the month/year that you started and the month/year that you ended plus the average number of hours per week. Don't ever use 168 hrs/wk; it is not physiological possible.

If I've done it for multiple years, but only for 3 weeks throughout the year, how do I indicate this?

2009-Present; 96 hrs/week
(How/where would I indicate that it's only for 3 weeks/year- i.e. 288 hrs/year).

If I've done it for multiple years, but only for 3 weeks throughout the year, how do I indicate this?

2009-Present; 96 hrs/week
(How/where would I indicate that it's only for 3 weeks/year- i.e. 288 hrs/year).

This is always messy.... you could list it as 3 separate items, one for each summer, particularly if your duties changed from one year to the next. After all, it is just 2 extra entries compared with lumping it.

the problem with showing it as 7/2009 - present 96 hrs/wk is that looking at it quick one could think it was 3+ years which seems more like an application for sainthood. ;) Of course, some people don't want to use 3 slots and they'll take their chances with the lumping together but write in the explanation that it was a 3 wk camp session each summer.