calculating work done

Started by inaccensa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

inaccensa

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Work done by/on the gas is given by W= PdeltaV

Which of the ​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
following gas properties is needed to​

calculate ​
​
​
the work done by an expanding gas?​

I. ​
​
​
The initial and final pressures
II
. The initial and final volumes​

III. ​
​
​
The path followed during the expansion,​

A. ​
​
​
I only​

B. ​
​
​
Il only​

C. ​
​
​
I and Il only​

D. I,II, and III----------- correct ans

I know that work is not a state function,but based on the formula, there is no need to determine the path of the gas. I guess if it were a graph-based q, I would need the path. Can anyone please shed some light.

Thanks
 
Work done by/on the gas is given by W= PdeltaV

Which of the ​
following gas properties is needed to​

calculate ​
the work done by an expanding gas?​

I. ​
The initial and final pressures
II
. The initial and final volumes​

III. ​
The path followed during the expansion,​

A. ​
I only​

B. ​
Il only​

C. ​
I and Il only​

D. I,II, and III----------- correct ans

I know that work is not a state function,but based on the formula, there is no need to determine the path of the gas. I guess if it were a graph-based q, I would need the path. Can anyone please shed some light.

Thanks
The formula only applies to an isobaric process, hence the need to know the path. Other processes, like adiabatic and isothermal, have different equations.
 
Last edited: