I need to score 495-500 for my SMP. Can it be done with a month of studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AW125

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Don't judge me but that's the score I need. Can it be done from now till a March testing date?

I don't want to get into specifics on which SMP etc. but that's the score that they will take.

Members don't see this ad.

You could wing it and get that. But take a practice test to be sure

Reactions: 1 user
You could wing it and get that. But take a practice test to be sure
I have thought about that lol but I still want to utilize the next 6 weeks the best I can.

Specifically, what is the best approach to do a crash course in chem/phys?

Is Magoosh a good program for what I am trying to accomplish?

I also don't have a lot of money either.

Members don't see this ad :)
A weak score will remain a part of your application forever. 495/500 are weak scores.
I don't know why an SMP would corner you into taking a high stakes exam before you were ready. I don't find this a strong strategy.
Can you find another way to prepare besides this particular SMP?

Reactions: 2 users
A weak score will remain a part of your application forever. 495/500 are weak scores.
I don't know why an SMP would corner you into taking a high stakes exam before you were ready. I don't find this a strong strategy.
Can you find another way to prepare besides this particular SMP?
I have a conditional acceptance. As part of my offer, I have to finish my remaining classes with a B and score a "500". I added 495 because during one of our info sessions, admissions said they accepted a 495 last cycle and I know who that person is because they were in my class!

It's interesting you say that because the school also says that studying for the MCAT while taking an SMP is not ideal and I think that's why they are lenient with the score for the SMP students who are essentially taking the first year DO classes.

But there are many ways to get into a DO program and I have since learned that while in this program. Outside of the SMP, the school will probably need a 505 minimum though.

I have a conditional acceptance. As part of my offer, I have to finish my remaining classes with a B and score a "500". I added 495 because during one of our info sessions, admissions said they accepted a 495 last cycle and I know who that person is because they were in my class!

It's interesting you say that because the school also says that studying for the MCAT while taking an SMP is not ideal and I think that's why they are lenient with the score for the SMP students who are essentially taking the first year DO classes.

But there are many ways to get into a DO program and I have since learned that while in this program. Outside of the SMP, the school will probably need a 505 minimum though.
I see.

You can look up study guides on here. But the general process is content review with anki cards over khan academy videos or whatever your favorite company is (doesn't matter). Then practice questions/tests, and learn what those questions revealed you didn't know. Rinse and repeat.

Like gyngyn said this isn't a great situation, but if you're dead set on attending this DO school, I guess just hunker down over the next few weeks. At this point I'd just start taking practice exams and learning what you don't know, and repeating that process. It's a bit late in the game to sit around reading books

You can look up study guides on here. But the general process is content review with anki cards over khan academy videos or whatever your favorite company is (doesn't matter). Then practice questions/tests, and learn what those questions revealed you didn't know. Rinse and repeat.

Like gyngyn said this isn't a great situation, but if you're dead set on attending this DO school, I guess just hunker down over the next few weeks. At this point I'd just start taking practice exams and learning what you don't know, and repeating that process. It's a bit late in the game to sit around reading books
I agree that this is not ideal but these are my time constraints and I have the conditional acceptance so this is my ticket in.

Is that Magoosh course any good? There's so many options but all I know is Kaplan and Princeton Review but they are more expensive.

I agree that this is not ideal but these are my time constraints and I have the conditional acceptance so this is my ticket in.

Is that Magoosh course any good? There's so many options but all I know is Kaplan and Princeton Review but they are more expensive.
This is not ideal, but if you have to, check out this YouTube video:

Taking the MCAT After Only Studying 2 WEEKS!​

Please understand that videos like those only shows "survivorship bias."

Best of luck my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not ideal, but if you have to, check out this YouTube video:

Taking the MCAT After Only Studying 2 WEEKS!​

Please understand that videos like those only shows "survivorship bias."

Best of luck my friend.

Thanks, unfortunately I also have to finish two classes as well so I can't even follow that schedule.

Honestly, just want to be done with it and not have to see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.