How do MCAT retakes work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

showtim3

Reaction score
I just took my MCAT today (6/17/2022). I already submitted my AMCAS app (to one school). Preparing for the worst, if I receive my score back 7/17/2022 and it's much lower than I anticipated, do I have enough time to retake it for this cycle? Do I register to retake it the day the scores are revealed? Do I let the schools I want to apply to (but haven't sent an application to yet) know my situation, assuming I have confidence in every other aspect of my application? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You should never retake the MCAT without significant time spent identifying and remedying the issues that led to a score you wanted to retake. I don’t recommend anyone to retake the MCAT within a 3 month span, much less immediately after scores are released for their most recent attempt.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I just took my MCAT today (6/17/2022). I already submitted my AMCAS app (to one school). Preparing for the worst, if I receive my score back 7/17/2022 and it's much lower than I anticipated, do I have enough time to retake it for this cycle? Do I register to retake it the day the scores are revealed? Do I let the schools I want to apply to (but haven't sent an application to yet) know my situation, assuming I have confidence in every other aspect of my application? Thank you!
It would be too late and your score would not likely improve enough to make it worth it. If you did bad on it take some time to reflect what you could have done better to prepare and go at it again after you've studied enough to be ready.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I applied with my first score and had terrible results. My app was good, not great, in most areas, but my CARS score killed me. I chose to wait to repeat the MCAT and apply the next year. I'm glad I did, although wasting a year kind a sucked.