Calculus a pre-req for CHEM II???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a post-bacc/non-degree seeking student trying to complete my science pre-reqs for med school. I finished CHEM I this summer and got an A. I signed up for CHEM II for this fall (along with phys I and bio I). My professor emailed me and told me that I need to take calculus before I take chem II because it is a pre-req. Has anyone else had this problem??? Also, I will most likely be applying DO (low gpa from previous undergrad degree) in which case, math isnt even counted in my pre-req gpa! Seems like a big waste to me...

I thought that since I was a non-degree seeking student, I could take any course I needed. Also, would the following semester be too much to handle??:

PHYS I
BIOL I
CHEM II
CALC I

what about if i only took 3 of the 4? Please let me know.

Also, I am a fulltime student (24yrs old) and am not working.

Thanks,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Mike,

I like your "chosen" specialty. Anyway, the only "problem" this could pose is that your school may simply require you to take Calc before Gen Chem II. What I mean to say is that Chem II does NOT require calculus. At least, I didn't use calc for Gen Chem II. We calculated a few half lives, worked some equations, played with Logs (but really not hard at all) etc. Slopes and y-intercepts for a few lab experiments but really, calc is not a pre req per se for GC II.

Having said that, you can attempt to talk to your prof, talk about your background and see where that gets you.

Only you can determine your courseload; that is, though, a lotta work what you have lined up there. I don't want to say don't do it, not knowing your work ethic and/or study habits, personal situation, but that's a lotta work.
You only get one more second chance at this if you know what I mean, so, choose wisely.

Good luck with all!
D712

thank you for the quick reply, and comment about my "chosen specialty!" haha. It's what Ive always been interested in (not sure why), and I know it will prob change when i get to med school, but we will cross that bridge later...

Furthermore, I am a very hard-working student. I basically do whatever it takes to get an A. I wasnt always this way, as in my undergrad I just 'skated' by. Things are different now because I know the alternative to not succeeding (corporate america! :(:() I am not sure if I am going to be able to handle that schedule, but we will see. Calculus should be a breeze compared to chem!

Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
That's crazy talk! I've never hear of Calc being a gen chem pre-req. I would try to get around it somehow...talk to the dept head and show that you're taking it this semester and claim to have at least a basic understanding of it, maybe? I can't imagine how it would be used in class. My calc-based physics classes didn't even use it.

As for too much work - if you think you can do it, I'm sure you can, esp. if you're not working and KNOW that you'll be studying hard.

Good luck!

That's crazy talk! I've never hear of Calc being a gen chem pre-req. I would try to get around it somehow...talk to the dept head and show that you're taking it this semester and claim to have at least a basic understanding of it, maybe? I can't imagine how it would be used in class. My calc-based physics classes didn't even use it.

As for too much work - if you think you can do it, I'm sure you can, esp. if you're not working and KNOW that you'll be studying hard.

Good luck!

You're tellin' me! I emailed the professor and told her I got an A in chem I and an A in the lab as well with no prior calculus training. I took pre-calc 5 years ago and havent taken a math prior to my Chem I class...and i seemed to do just fine! :) I tried not to sound cocky, but to just make my point!

The only Calculus-y kind of thing in Gen Chem I can think of are the rate laws, but most textbooks already integrate them for you so it's just a matter of plugging & chugging to get the correct answers.

Kind of odd that Calc would be a prereq for Gen Chem II. I don't get it. :confused:

Yeah, it is very strange. I even spoke to my CHEM I professor from the summer about it, and he was baffled by the thought of Calculus being a pre-req for CHEM II, and Orgo, etc.

Furthermore, when speaking to my advisor about it she did finally waive the Calculus requirement but it was like pulling teeth. They don't like non-degree seeking students for some reason.

This happened to me in my post-bacc program. Got an A+ in Chem I and lab, then showed up to Chem 2 only to find out the prereqs were not only a semester of calculus but a semester of physics as well. For a week I begged and pleaded and whined (but in a very nice, persistent way) and finally weaseled my way in after the professor made me sign a note saying that I wouldn't complain when I failed the course.

I got an A, and as far as I could tell, there wasn't any calculus or physics to be had. Lots of work with logs but that's easy enough and should be covered in a pre-calc or trig class. Try to meet the prof in person and state your case. It's a ridiculous requirement.

So I am a post-bacc/non-degree seeking student trying to complete my science pre-reqs for med school. I finished CHEM I this summer and got an A. I signed up for CHEM II for this fall (along with phys I and bio I). My professor emailed me and told me that I need to take calculus before I take chem II because it is a pre-req. Has anyone else had this problem??? Also, I will most likely be applying DO (low gpa from previous undergrad degree) in which case, math isnt even counted in my pre-req gpa! Seems like a big waste to me...

I thought that since I was a non-degree seeking student, I could take any course I needed. Also, would the following semester be too much to handle??:

PHYS I
BIOL I
CHEM II
CALC I

what about if i only took 3 of the 4? Please let me know.

Also, I am a fulltime student (24yrs old) and am not working.

Thanks,
Mike

Never heard of Calc being required for Chem. Furthermore, since you are not seeking a degree, and are just taking classes, Im surprised they even made this an issue, and Im also unsure how they know what classes you have or havent taken in the past. Are you taking these classes at the same school in which you received your undergrad degree?

Im a non-trad student who got his undergrad degree in 2001. It was not a science degree and I did not take ANY sciences or math (was able to take symbolic logic in place of the math requirement). I am now taking my pre-reqs at a different college, and nearly every science class Im taking lists pre-requisite classes which I didnt take! Since Im only "taking classes" at this school, they did not require my undergrad transcript, and thus have no clue what classes I previously took. I simply ignore the pre-requisites they list and sign up for the class anyway.

Incidentally, I see that you are taking Physics this semester. That is the one course which might actually require you to have a calc background. Youve probably already looked into this, but Physics can be taught and based in one of 2 manners (algebra based or calculus based). You need to make sure that the physics u are taking is algebra based, otherwise even if they let you in the class, you will not be able to succeed without a good calc background. good luck-SH