Calculus based physics vs non calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berrydenta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, the title pretty much speaks for itself. I am in the process of completing pre-reqs for dental school and was wondering if schools require calculus based physics or algebra based physics. Does anyone know? I have contacted a few schools but didn't get a definitive answer.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, the title pretty much speaks for itself. I am in the process of completing pre-reqs for dental school and was wondering if schools require calculus based physics or algebra based physics. Does anyone know? I have contacted a few schools but didn't get a definitive answer.
Thanks!

For most schools... they don't care.
However, and I can't remember for sure, but.... does Harvard require cal-based physics? cause I know they require calculus I

Members don't see this ad :)
In my undergrad school, non calc based physics is called Introductory Physics and the calc based one is General Physics. I called the dental schools I'm applying to and while some require General Physics, some don't care which kind of physics I take.

nobody cares what physics you take as long as you take it, but I find it strange you even need to take it since it doesn't appear on the DAT, also its pretty useless in general.

So take whatever physics is easier. At some schools it's actually easier to do well in calc based physics because the curve is more generous.

nobody cares what physics you take as long as you take it, but I find it strange you even need to take it since it doesn't appear on the DAT, also its pretty useless in general.

So take whatever physics is easier. At some schools it's actually easier to do well in calc based physics because the curve is more generous.

Physics is important , and in a global view it is a important area of study.

Objects in motion alone is a great topic and excellent food for thought.

They don't care.

Word of advice though -- unless you are like an engineering major or something, save yourself and DO NOT take Calc-based Physics.

At my school (at least), it is WAY more work which just is NOT needed for a pre-health student.

Ask other students at your school to try to gauged your preparedness for calc-based. At my school at least, people say calc-based is easier (partly because calculus is the simplest explanation of physics).

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions! I took calculus already, so pretty much set for the Calc-based physics but wanted to see if it matters which kind to take :)