Calculus I: P/F or Graded??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicaldee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm currently deciding whether or not to take Calculus Pass/Fail or take it for a letter grade. I'm not too much of a math-brain; I took precalc last summer and ended up with a B-, and I've got 2 stats courses under my belt (C+ in stats I, B in stats II). I'm afraid taking calculus for a grade will cause my GPA to take yet another hit. Calculus isn't required for any of the MD programs I plan on applying to; the only reason I have to take it is because it's a prereq to the calc-based physics course at my school. How will med schools evaluate taking a non-required course Pass/Fail? Will they factor it into my gpa somehow? According to my pre-med advisor, some schools will treat it as a C- or lower...that's also scary because I have a couple courses that are graded P/F as a rule at my school, not because I opted to take it P/F. Any thoughts?Any info would be most appreciated :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably better to take it graded. Programmes have been known to change their minds.