Calculus II without Calculus I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ONSLAUGHT

UNPLUGGED
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma..

I took Calculus I and II when I was in high school through a community college. I did well in both courses, but I only received official college credit for Calculus II. I didn't get credit for Calculus I because I had missed a payment deadline. I have already called the community college and it is too late for any sort of action. Presently, my college transcript only has Calculus II listed for credit.

My question is... should I retake Calculus I, even though I already have Calculus II in the bag with a good grade?

I have also taken a Psychology Statistics course if that helps any and I am currently a Junior.

Any comments please??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should retake calc 1. I know lots of people who passed out of calc 1, and sometimes calc 1 and 2, and therefore started in higher classes and never recieved credit for the lower ones. Med schools don't require calc at all, and if they see that you have credit for calc 2, I'm sure they'll assume you know calc 1 stuff too. So basically, don't worry about it, you'll be fine!

I must admit I didn't think much of Calc II first time I laid eyes on the book; looked like a stiff breeze would blow it over. That was my first impression of Calc II.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are a few schools that do require it, but not many at all. If you received credit for calc II, then it just means that you either tested into calc II or you tested out of calc I and into II. why would you need to take the first half? obviously it was OK for you to go ahead and take the second class right? don't worry about it. just move on!!

You may still be able to get credit on your transcript. I went to Kentucky and there you just need to pass the final exam for Calc I and they'll give you CR -- no hours, but it appears on your transcript, just like you had passed the AP test. I would be surprised if the math department at your school doesn't have a similar policy.
Disclaimer: Principessa's boyfriend.

Don't worry, be happy!

I'm not familiar with any school that requires more than one semester of calculus. Thus, your calc II should satisfy those schools that want 1 semester of calc. Spend your time worrying about more important details such as wether to type or hand write the secondary. (HAR!)

thanks everyone! :)

i was just worried that i'd have to retake that class...even though it would seem redundant with having Calc II already on the transcript. i guess that's one less thing i'll need to worry about!

Take Calc 1 again for an easy A! (as long as there isn't a lot of homework or surprise quizzes, which will get really annoying when you try to skip the class)

I had a similar situation, but I had passed Calc I via the AP exam. I only received elective college units tho, but was able to move onto Calc II in college. When I applied, I found some schools did require 2 upper level math courses (I don't think stats applied at the time, but my memory escapes me). In addition, they did not consider passing an AP exam as adequate proof of fulfillment of the requirement. Rather than suffer through tons of frustrating phone calls w/ admissions offices explaining my situation (which you will have plenty of as you apply), I just bit the bullet and retook Calc I at a community college. It was super easy and just takes up a few hours of your time a week. So, that's what I would recommend for you, especially since you don't have anything on record saying you passed it.

hmmm maybe i will consider retaking Calc I. another "A" couldn't hurt also..
i'll consider it for next summer though:)

Question--I used my credit for my AP CALC AB exam that I took in high school. So I only had to take Calc 2 (one semester) in college. will med schools require another semester of math, since I passed out of calc 1, and only had to take calc 2???