Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Calculus in Med School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Doctortobee, Jan 14, 2000.

1. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member

How much calculus is used in med school?

My college offers calculus based physics and non-calculus based physics...Which would be the best to take?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME W/ CALCULUS-BASED PHYSICS!!!

Although calculus-based physics is great if you want a challenge, but noncalculus physics should suffice for you in medical school.

Actually, I don't recall using very much physics in medical school. They will bombard you with a lot of Biochem, physiology, anatomy, etc.. If anything, that's where there is a SLIGHT usage of applicable calculus (to calculate, apply some basic physics principles)

This is just my opinion, but don't waste your time & energy taking the calculus physics. Medical school doesn't require it so why kil yourself more unnecessarily.....med school will do that for you instead [​IMG] Good Luck to you [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

4. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member

5. WCUDO

Academic Administration
    Actually physics is used more than most realize...physician.
    Optics, refraction, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's law, levers and pulleys, body mechanics, omm/opp...it's there...it's just not recognized as it ought to be :)'

6. Cp22kjer

Cp22kjer Bottom of the Food Chain

Medical Student
    I just took the most "math orientated" exam for Biochem and we really didn't even touch calculus.

7. Brocimus

Medical Student
    You may want to talk to a physics professor. If I remember correctly, the calc based physics will actually be easier than the regular physics. I think it only comes up in a chapter or two and it basically makes what would be a fairly ugly equation much more simple. As long as you have had calculus, you will do fine. Again, check with the physics professor to be sure.