Calculus in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much calculus is used in med school?

My college offers calculus based physics and non-calculus based physics...Which would be the best to take?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME W/ CALCULUS-BASED PHYSICS!!!

Although calculus-based physics is great if you want a challenge, but noncalculus physics should suffice for you in medical school.

Actually, I don't recall using very much physics in medical school. They will bombard you with a lot of Biochem, physiology, anatomy, etc.. If anything, that's where there is a SLIGHT usage of applicable calculus (to calculate, apply some basic physics principles)

This is just my opinion, but don't waste your time & energy taking the calculus physics. Medical school doesn't require it so why kil yourself more unnecessarily.....med school will do that for you instead
smile.gif
Good Luck to you
smile.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually physics is used more than most realize...physician.
Optics, refraction, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's law, levers and pulleys, body mechanics, omm/opp...it's there...it's just not recognized as it ought to be :)'

I just took the most "math orientated" exam for Biochem and we really didn't even touch calculus.

You may want to talk to a physics professor. If I remember correctly, the calc based physics will actually be easier than the regular physics. I think it only comes up in a chapter or two and it basically makes what would be a fairly ugly equation much more simple. As long as you have had calculus, you will do fine. Again, check with the physics professor to be sure.