Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Calculus in Med School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Doctortobee, Jan 14, 2000.

1. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How much calculus is used in med school?

My college offers calculus based physics and non-calculus based physics...Which would be the best to take?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME W/ CALCULUS-BASED PHYSICS!!!

Although calculus-based physics is great if you want a challenge, but noncalculus physics should suffice for you in medical school.

Actually, I don't recall using very much physics in medical school. They will bombard you with a lot of Biochem, physiology, anatomy, etc.. If anything, that's where there is a SLIGHT usage of applicable calculus (to calculate, apply some basic physics principles)

This is just my opinion, but don't waste your time & energy taking the calculus physics. Medical school doesn't require it so why kil yourself more unnecessarily.....med school will do that for you instead [​IMG] Good Luck to you [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

4. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

5. WCUDO

2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Actually physics is used more than most realize...physician.
    Optics, refraction, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's law, levers and pulleys, body mechanics, omm/opp...it's there...it's just not recognized as it ought to be :)'

6. Cp22kjer

Cp22kjer Bottom of the Food Chain
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just took the most "math orientated" exam for Biochem and we really didn't even touch calculus.

7. Brocimus

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You may want to talk to a physics professor. If I remember correctly, the calc based physics will actually be easier than the regular physics. I think it only comes up in a chapter or two and it basically makes what would be a fairly ugly equation much more simple. As long as you have had calculus, you will do fine. Again, check with the physics professor to be sure.