Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

calculus prerequisite question

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dmd20000, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dmd20000

10+ Year Member

do schools accept calculus that doesn't include analytic geometry?
    i would like to take the 4credit calculus course that is designed for management. few schools added a note that they prefer the calculus that is science based, but what about the others that didn't mention it. is the course(without analytic geometry) acceptable by most schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I don't think they would accept a calculus designed for management because you wouldn't be learning the same topics at the same caliber pharm schools require.

4. pharmky

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    The only school that I know of that accepts elementary calc is the University of Kentucky. But, you must have credits in College Algebra (4 CR)), Trig (4 CR), and Elementary Calc (4 CR) to apply. I figured that it was just easier to take the Calc I (5 CR) class. The trig involved is pretty minimal. I believe that we only used the basic trig identities and pythagorean, nothing too bad (No half angle and double angle stuff).

Plus, as said above, most schools will not accept the Elementary Calc class.

5. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Where do they squeeze in the extra 1CR? I thought Calc I was a 4 credit course unless you also do a little bit of Calc II (one class I will never have to take again!!!)

6. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    At my university Calc I was also 5 credits. They might just be learning more topics or some schools like to give extra in-class time for hard courses for extra teacher-student time.