Cali approval

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPWR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So guys if MUA gets the Cali approval for example in 2010, what will happen to the students that gradated in previous years like 2009,2008,2007,2006 etc., Will they be able to get the residency and eventually the license in Cali.

What is the policy when it comes to getting retroactive approvals for previous graduates?

Saba got the Cali approval if im correct in 2005, I apologize if my incorrect on the approval date, but Cali now approves coursework from 1/1/02 to present. What about Kansas, NM, NJ, PA, TX, FL etc., are they also not very receptive for MUA.

Please some guidance on this issue will be very helpful for a premed student like me thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

So guys if MUA gets the Cali approval for example in 2010, what will happen to the students that gradated in previous years like 2009,2008,2007,2006 etc., Will they be able to get the residency and eventually the license in Cali.

Only people who start in 2010 will get Cali. It might happen, but it is not likely to be grandfathered in.

What is the policy when it comes to getting retroactive approvals for previous graduates?

It is up to the Cali board.

Saba got the Cali approval if im correct in 2005, I apologize if my incorrect on the approval date, but Cali now approves coursework from 1/1/02 to present. What about Kansas, NM, NJ, PA, TX, FL etc., are they also not very receptive for MUA.

Some states have their own lists and some take their cue from Cali. The majority of the states are on a case-by-case basis.

Hey guys,
So i saw a posting on SMU forum about how there are ELEVEN states that follow cali that smu grads can not practice is bc smu is disapproved by Cali. i always thought cali's disapproved list is the same as its unapproved list. so, i thought MUA grads also could not practice in those 11 states bc MUA is UNAPPROVED.

but i recently was told that theres a diff between the cali DISapproved list and UNapproved list. that there only about half the states on calis unapproved list as opposed to calis disapproved list...

can someone please clarify? i tried callin cali med board but it goes straight to answering machine every time!

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that New Mexico will let you practice after board certification and practiced in another state without incident for at least 3 years.

I know that AR has an unapproved list that list both MUA Nevis and SMU.
SMU is on the CA unapproved list and MUA is not - however they treat the two the same.

I am not sure about the other states. However if you go to the forum

Value md

You can get a lot more information from students, residents etc... about the CA list and other states.

If a school applies for CA approval and is denied, it's on the CA disapproved list. St. Matthews is an example. If a school never applies for CA approval, they are on the not approved (maybe it's nonapproved?) list. If a school is on either list, the school's graduates cannot practice in CA. However, other states use the CA lists differently. Arkansas made its own list, and now (as of June or August 2008, I believe) will not license graduates from either the CA disapproved or the nonapproved list. Indiana, on the other hand, does not give a license to grads of schools on the CA disapproved schools list, but will consider graduates of nonapproved schools on a case-by-case basis. This may be why some Caribbean schools are waiting to apply for CA approval; if they apply and get denied, their graduates may be worse off than if the school did not apply at all.

While I believe the above comments to be accurate, they are based on my limited research. Your best bet is to look at the CA medical board website, and the websites of the states in which you would like to practice. It is not a good idea to rely on phone calls to the state boards, because the person you speak to may not give accurate information, or you may misinterpret what they say.

If you have the time, read the reports on the CA site disapproving St. Matthews and approving Saba. The reports are lengthy, but they provide insight into what CA is looking for in order to grant approval. They actually say quite a few positive things about St. Matthews...

I agree with the above post.

However, I have been following the Arkansas ruling and have read the website and spoken with an administrative person from the medical board and a director of the the Arkansas medical society.

The website is very clear.

When I email the board members they will not respond or return my phone call.