Cali Community Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malsaint

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts on top community programs for IM in So.Cal and NorCal? Any expereince with Cal Pacific vs. St. Marys?

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know anything about UCSF/Fresno?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone help in ranking these programs or have any inside info?

Kaiser santa clara
USC
UCSF/Fresno

Originally posted by malsaint
Anybody have any thoughts on top community programs for IM in So.Cal and NorCal? Any expereince with Cal Pacific vs. St. Marys?

I'm just a prelim candidate, but I considered both CPMC and St Mary's. CPMC is supposed to be among the better community programs. Though some private docs follow their pts, many use the hospitalists so residents do manage them. Range of residents from the laid back, just sailing by to the fellowship bound academic types. St. Mary;s is supposed to be a smaller core faculty assoc with the training and is not as strong. An anesthesia resident who did prelim there called it decent. Didn't end up applying there. Good luck.

Don;t know about Kaiser SC, but Santa Clara Valley is a good county/community program. Residents are apparently happy and the facilities and staff are nicer than most county places.

No one mentioned Highland in Oakland but I'd rather be there than St. Mary's. Not very academic, but residents there are nice, learn a lot, are autonomous. Very county population. Also, the EM residents rotate through medicine and are top notch.