Cali Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keroberos

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In hopes of returning to the Golden State :love:, I was wondering about the Radiology Residency Programs in California. Which are the best? The worst? What kind of reputations do each have? How competitive ( USMLE scores, etc ) must the applicant be to match? Thanks. :D

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm... i had the same question....

same here prostate! same here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matching at any CA rads program is going to be very difficult, so you should feel privileged if you do.

So, given that, here are the programs IMO by reputation:

UCSF > Stanford > UCSD > UCLA > UCD > UCI > Loma Linda > SCVMC > Harbor-UCLA > Cedars > SBC > Kaiser LA

Once again, they are all great programs that are all difficult to match at!

Generally, to match at one of these programs, the absolute minimum:
USMLE S1 > 220
Regional ties to CA (or else an away rotation)
Good LOR
Good clinical evaluations

If you are gunning for the upper tier programs:
USMLE S1 > 240
Regional ties + away rotation
Research with pubs
Phenomenal LORs
HH/Honors in most clinical rotations

These are gross generalizations. For more mind blowing discussion, go to www.auntminnie.com

Due to the draw of the location, California programs end up being much more competitive than than a similar level of program elsewhere in the country. The programs I interviewed at in the midwest were much better programs overall than the programs that granted me the privildge of interview me in California. If you want to go there, realize that you will match at a program that is one tier below where you would match elsewhere.

Hey UnknownMD,

What about LA County/USC? Where you gonna squeeze them in to your list?

Between UCLA and UCD. These lists are SO subjective and are gross generalizations. They change for different areas, like research, lifestyle, clinical vol, etc. Any program in CA is going to be great!