Cali schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faze2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are California Med schools pretty much impossible to get into if you do not live in Cali? If so, why?

Members don't see this ad.

no, thats a myth, apply to the schools without any bias towards instates (ucsd, ucla, uci, usc, loma linda) and ure shot is as good as the next guys. other uc's are biased towards CA residents.

pure myth.

no, thats a myth, apply to the schools without any bias towards instates (ucsd, ucla, uci, usc, loma linda) and ure shot is as good as the next guys. other uc's are biased towards CA residents.

pure myth.
WOW. i had no idea that UCSD and USLA had no biases towards instate-ers...

Members don't see this ad :)

pure myth.

from ucsd's admissions web site:

"Preference is necessarily afforded to California residents when all other selection factors are equal, and consideration is given only to applicants who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents."

from ucla's admissions web site:

"Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California."

pure myth.

Um, no.

UCI lets in hardly any non-Californian residents. UCSD lets in a few very well qualified OOS applicants, but still not many. UCLA and UCSF (and USC, Stanford and Loma Linda) offer the best chance for OOS applicants, but it's still not great: they do give preference to Californian residents (at least in selecting who they will interview). Overall, I would say USC is the "easiest" or Loma Linda if you are Seventh Day Adventist.

Um, no.

UCI lets in hardly any non-Californian residents. UCSD lets in a few very well qualified OOS applicants, but still not many. UCLA and UCSF (and USC, Stanford and Loma Linda) offer the best chance for OOS applicants, but it's still not great: they do give preference to Californian residents (at least in selecting who they will interview). Overall, I would say USC is the "easiest" or Loma Linda if you are Seventh Day Adventist.

UCD also has a huge in-state bias.

I am from the Northwest and I was accepted at USC this year. But, of course, USC is a private school, so it is much easier for an OOS to get accepted at USC than at the UC state med schools. I am delighted to have an opportunity to go to med school in the great state of California! I am sure it will be interesting to live and study in LA.

I am from the Northwest and I was accepted at USC this year. But, of course, USC is a private school, so it is much easier for an OOS to get accepted at USC than at the UC state med schools. I am delighted to have an opportunity to go to med school in the great state of California! I am sure it will be interesting to live and study in LA.

You snowboard...right?

Well...you have slopes in your backyard out there...enjoy!!!

UCD also has a huge in-state bias.

Despite what many believe, the admissions process isn't really a crapshoot--there's a lot more internal politics/bureaucracy going on behind the scenes.

Besides needing to have a 35+ MCAT for UCSF OOS, I probably should have applied as 'disadvantaged' because i know i would have gotten a more favorable review.