• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

WinneDaFoo

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
no, thats a myth, apply to the schools without any bias towards instates (ucsd, ucla, uci, usc, loma linda) and ure shot is as good as the next guys. other uc's are biased towards CA residents.

pure myth.

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
no, thats a myth, apply to the schools without any bias towards instates (ucsd, ucla, uci, usc, loma linda) and ure shot is as good as the next guys. other uc's are biased towards CA residents.

pure myth.
WOW. i had no idea that UCSD and USLA had no biases towards instate-ers...

About the Ads

eekonomics

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2006
Status (Visible)

pure myth.

from ucsd's admissions web site:

"Preference is necessarily afforded to California residents when all other selection factors are equal, and consideration is given only to applicants who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents."

from ucla's admissions web site:

"Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California."

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

pure myth.

Um, no.

UCI lets in hardly any non-Californian residents. UCSD lets in a few very well qualified OOS applicants, but still not many. UCLA and UCSF (and USC, Stanford and Loma Linda) offer the best chance for OOS applicants, but it's still not great: they do give preference to Californian residents (at least in selecting who they will interview). Overall, I would say USC is the "easiest" or Loma Linda if you are Seventh Day Adventist.

Senor Fish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2005
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Um, no.

UCI lets in hardly any non-Californian residents. UCSD lets in a few very well qualified OOS applicants, but still not many. UCLA and UCSF (and USC, Stanford and Loma Linda) offer the best chance for OOS applicants, but it's still not great: they do give preference to Californian residents (at least in selecting who they will interview). Overall, I would say USC is the "easiest" or Loma Linda if you are Seventh Day Adventist.

UCD also has a huge in-state bias.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am from the Northwest and I was accepted at USC this year. But, of course, USC is a private school, so it is much easier for an OOS to get accepted at USC than at the UC state med schools. I am delighted to have an opportunity to go to med school in the great state of California! I am sure it will be interesting to live and study in LA.

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am from the Northwest and I was accepted at USC this year. But, of course, USC is a private school, so it is much easier for an OOS to get accepted at USC than at the UC state med schools. I am delighted to have an opportunity to go to med school in the great state of California! I am sure it will be interesting to live and study in LA.

You snowboard...right?

Well...you have slopes in your backyard out there...enjoy!!!

clusterfunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
UCD also has a huge in-state bias.

Despite what many believe, the admissions process isn't really a crapshoot--there's a lot more internal politics/bureaucracy going on behind the scenes.

Besides needing to have a 35+ MCAT for UCSF OOS, I probably should have applied as 'disadvantaged' because i know i would have gotten a more favorable review.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.