Cali sucks!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SixtyNinePesos

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does it seem like cali schools could really care less if there students succeed? First, my school has no premed advisory commitee. Second, it seems like the med schools don't care where you are from. If I don't get in this year, I think I am gonna move to some state where they actually accept their residents! Has anybody ever thought of moving and becoming a resident of a different state just to get into med school? Thanks for listening to me vent. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by SixtyNinePesos
Why does it seem like cali schools could really care less if there students succeed? First, my school has no premed advisory commitee. Second, it seems like the med schools don't care where you are from. If I don't get in this year, I think I am gonna move to some state where they actually accept their residents! Has anybody ever thought of moving and becoming a resident of a different state just to get into med school? Thanks for listening to me vent. :)

i know exactly what u are saying. i am a cali resident too. which school u go to?

seriously, some states, the residents are guranteed into med school. THATS SUCKKKKS>

The majority of students that attend UC medical schools are from California. The problem is not who they accept, but is more about the fact that there are too many premedical applicants from California for the spaces allotted. UCI and UCD take no out of state residents. UCSD maybe takes a few, but might not take any at all. UCLA and UCSF take about 15-20% out of state. That really isn't all that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Write your state legislator and tell them they need to open more public CA medical schools. UC Merced would be an ideal place. The problem is that we have one of the worst ratios for number of spots/number of applicants.

There is no state where residents are guaranteed admission to medical school. Whoever told you that was pulling your leg. There are states with less fierce competition, and a few where if you meet their MCAT/GPA cut-off, you get guaranteed an interview (not an acceptance).

We may have to wait WAY longer than the residents of any other state (h*ll, its pretty impossible to find an accepted UC med student at this point), but what other state has most of its state med schools on the national rankings?

Cali schools are slow because there are so many students, but the schools are still top of the line. I would gladly wait until the end of the summer to attend a top med school like UCSF, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, or UCSD, and pay in state residency.

California rocks!

Originally posted by paean
Write your state legislator and tell them they need to open more public CA medical schools. UC Merced would be an ideal place. The problem is that we have one of the worst ratios for number of spots/number of applicants.

Is there an adequate population for a hospital in Merced to accompany the med school?

Well they obviously think there is a large enough populace for a University, so I think that it will be fine. Merced has about 80,000 people, which is about the size of Davis as well.

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med
Well they obviously think there is a large enough populace for a University, so I think that it will be fine. Merced has about 80,000 people, which is about the size of Davis as well.

The first sentence means nothing. State College, PA, home of Penn State, has a population of about 40,000. I'm not sure if that includes the students or not. :p

But if it's the size of Davis, it would be okay I guess. Hell, it might even make more people apply to Merced. :)

(my former next door neighbor used to live there...when she lived there, it wasn't that big, so that's what I was going on...1990 census says 56,000 though)

Just to clariy, UC Davis Med Center is in Sacramento and serves as the major hospital for Northern California. I don't know the population, but it definitely serves more than a few hundred thousand, so I don't think you can compare a patient population at Davis to Merced (unless they put their hospital somewhere else)

I'm from the area (Stockton, near Sacramento, in the San Joaquin valley)...

Cities in the Central Valley are relatively close together, so the population would be magnified. Therefore, its not just Merced, but its Ceres, Modesto, Manteca, Ripon, Los Banos, etc. The population of Stanislaus and Merced counties is about 400-500 thousand people. Does that make sense RandomAccess?

I don't wanna sound mean when I say this...

jtheater, are u from NorCal? I am. UC Davis med center does not serve all of northern california. I'm from Stockton, about an hour south of there, and we have our own hospitals and medical centers.

And besides, Merced is in NorCal too. The population around Merced isn't as large as that around Sacramento, but still substantial enough to have a UC, and a medical center, which it has neither. There is a CSU nearby, in Turlock though (CSU Stanislaus).

I'm from the area (Stockton, near Sacramento, in the San Joaquin valley)...

Cities in the Central Valley are relatively close together, so the population would be magnified. Therefore, its not just Merced, but its Ceres, Modesto, Manteca, Ripon, Los Banos, etc. The population of Stanislaus and Merced counties is about 400-500 thousand people. Does that make sense RandomAccess?

I never said you were wrong. :p In fact, I more agreed with you, than not.

UCSF has a hospital in Fresno (which is NOT merced, so don't jump on me for thinking I said it was). UCD students do 2 years at Davis, then 2 in Sacramento, pretty much completely seperated from the Davis campus. One of the biggest issues right now is getting new schools accredited. So I propose a UCM-UCSF medical school (degree from UCSF = fewer accreditation issues) which starts as a 2 years Merced, 2 years Fresno program, start small because Fresno can't handle 100 MS3s and 100 MS4s right now. Expand to hospitals inbetween Fresno and Merced (I have no idea if any of these are teaching hospitals right now, so this is the hard part) and eventually switch name and entire control of program to UCM, once it is well established.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis med students do do two years at Sacramento's hospital...but its called UC Davis Medical Center. Davis and Sac are pretty close together, at the med center is probably only like a 15 minute drive from the Davis campus, so its not like UCSF and Fresno, which is probably like a 4 hour drive.

I was a CA resident for the 2002 application year and received no secondaries, etc. so this year I said screw CA. I changed my residency to the state where I attended school and even though there is only 1 med school in that state the instate acceptance rate is about 25% unlike CA's 5% or whatever the hell it is. Definately chnage residency status unless you have a 38 on your MCAT and even then it's a crapshoot.

Definately chnage residency status unless you have a 38 on your MCAT and even then it's a crapshoot.

It's not THAT bad getting into a UC school...I'm not saying that it's easy, but it's do-able. My boyfriend got into UCSD this year and he has a 33 MCAT and 3.7 GPA with some decent extracurriculars. I also know a girl with a 29 MCAT that got into UCSD too.

My chief complaint about the UC's is that they are so slow and their selection process to me seems kind of random. But if you ask me, I would LOVE to attend a UC and especially pay in state tuition.

Well I know plenty of people with 4.0 GPA's and high 30's on the MCAT with plenty of EC's that didn't even get interviews from any UC's. SO it is hard, esp. because there is 1 spot for every 15 or so instate applicants. CA is definately the hardest state school to get into.:p

i wish the california state schools (CSU's) had medical schools like those in the east coast.

its like we are getting punnished for living in california.

Do you think ad coms would get pissed if they thought you moved just to help you get into med school?

California - 33,871,648 residents
Texas - 20,851,820 residents
New -18,976,457 residents

CA - 5 state schools, approx 510 spots for residents
TX - 7 state schools (incl Baylor), approx 1075 spots for residents
NY - 4 state schools, approx 550 spots for residents

I'm not sure about this because I'm not from Texas...

But Baylor is considered a state school there?

I'm not sure about this because I'm not from Texas...

But Baylor is considered a state school there?

Don't know if they're a state school, but they do have considerably cheaper tuition for people who are Tejas residents. And it only takes one year to be a resident, so lots of first years buy condos so that they're considered Tejas residents during their second year.

-RA

Being from California, I know it's really tough getting into a UC but well worth it to atleast try. I know a person who didnt get into a UC and the next year she moved to Texas and applied there and got in. If you really want to be a doctor, move to Texas!

Jetson

Stay out of Texas!!!! :D ;)

i'm all about the texas thing. a group of us (me and my ******ed friends) are moving out there after we don't get in this cycle. then we'll apply again in a year as residents... we should have a house in texas just for that reason- and all people who don't get in one year can move there... or, we could all chip in like 2 dollars, buy a place in texas- and have some mail forwarded there... i think that would work. we'd establish residency and chill wherever we were. that would be rad-
p

That is a neat idea for a business. I could buy a huge piece of land, a sell a square foot of it over the Internet to pre-meds so that they can claim Texas residency. (Land ownership in Texas grants residency). Lets see....

1 acre in west texas can be had for about $2000.
1 acre = 43,560 sq. feet
1 sq. foot sold over the internet for $100.
Yields $4,356,000.
Profit = $4,356,000 - $2000 = $4,354,000.

That is almost as good as running AMCAS. :D

Originally posted by silver_eyes
i know exactly what u are saying. i am a cali resident too. which school u go to?

seriously, some states, the residents are guranteed into med school. THATS SUCKKKKS>

what state gurantee that? are you serious? if so, why don't those med school die-hard applicant move to those school instead of applying 7th year?

Originally posted by aquaboy
I was a CA resident for the 2002 application year and received no secondaries, etc. so this year I said screw CA. I changed my residency to the state where I attended school and even though there is only 1 med school in that state the instate acceptance rate is about 25% unlike CA's 5% or whatever the hell it is. Definately chnage residency status unless you have a 38 on your MCAT and even then it's a crapshoot.

u can get in-state residency by going to undergrad there? anyway, u r really serious for this one aren't u? very impressive

Originally posted by poloace
i'm all about the texas thing. a group of us (me and my ******ed friends) are moving out there after we don't get in this cycle. then we'll apply again in a year as residents... we should have a house in texas just for that reason- and all people who don't get in one year can move there... or, we could all chip in like 2 dollars, buy a place in texas- and have some mail forwarded there... i think that would work. we'd establish residency and chill wherever we were. that would be rad-
p

holy cow to this idea. this thread will be my night, good night.

LoL on some of the posts, I was cracking up reading some of these. You know 69pesos I really agree with you on Cali schools. I got my BS in Business in Arizona, going through a satelite school which was from Texas but anyways the schools are much better out of state, because they care for their students. They treat you like a number here in cali. I am taking my premeds here at a community college and I feel lke I am going to a High School, not because the curricilum is easy but you don't get respect. All they want is your damn money and they can care less for your personal situation or if yo have 5 jobs supporting your family. Bottom line I was looking to move back here and go to school but Arizona is starting to look good right now, I know they only have one Do school in Phoenix and one Allopathic in Davis Monthan but shoot at least they treat you better there. And another thing is I dont want to live as a bum being a student. I have a family and I don't think I am going to have enough time begging and going to school.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by lola
California - 33,871,648 residents
Texas - 20,851,820 residents
New -18,976,457 residents

CA - 5 state schools, approx 510 spots for residents
TX - 7 state schools (incl Baylor), approx 1075 spots for residents
NY - 4 state schools, approx 550 spots for residents

Massachusetts - 6,379,304 residents

MA - 1 state school, 100 spots for residents

Is my math off? I love living in the Commonwealth, but it's numerically tougher than Cali!! :mad:

Originally posted by tedstriker
Massachusetts - 6,379,304 residents

MA - 1 state school, 100 spots for residents

Is my math off? I love living in the Commonwealth, but it's numerically tougher than Cali!! :mad:

Wow. All you California people just got roasted. :p

It's really interesting how perceptions about CA residency change depending on where you are.

I'm a CA resident but have been going to school in MA, and over here people often ENVY me for being a Californian resident!!! During the application cycle last year, my non-Californian classmates were often "bitter" that I at least had a shot at UCSF or UCLA but they basically had no chance.

Anyone has any data on how Californian applicants who attend out-of-state schools fare compared to those who go to in-state schools?

we know a guy over in texas. he ownes most if not all of the ramada inn's there. i was thinking of getting one of my name or something, but i will still be living in cali, but i will establish residency in texas, so by the time i apply, i will be a texas resdient. or i could just tell him to put a condo or an appartment on my name.