California Bench Exam update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tengu3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The bill has been amended. Vote by the senate sub-committee has been postponed.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1467_bill_20030701_amended_sen.html

It seems the RTE will be extended with some restrictions, and eventually WILL sunset.

Some of the highlights

(1) Successfully completed the requirements of Section 1636
on or before December 31, 2004

OR

(2) Passed Part I of the National Dental Board Examiners' examinations by December 31, 2004, and who complete passed Part II of the National Dental Board examination by December 31, 2006, and completed all progressive examination requirements set forth in paragraph (2) of subdivision (c) of Section 1636 by December 31, 2008.

1635.5. (a) Applications for the restorative techniques examination shall be received by mail only. Priority consideration to take the examination shall be given to those applicants who are taking the examination for the first time.

(d) It is the intent of the Legislature that applicants be afforded a minimum of two attempts to take the examination required by paragraph (2) of subdivision (c) of Section 1636, but the Legislature recognizes that the board may not be able to provide an applicant four examination attempts prior to the December 31, 2008.

-------------------------------------------------
some useful links

HISTORY:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1467_bill_20030702_history.html

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1467_bill_20030708_status.html

Members don't see this ad.

if the vote by the senate sub-committee has been postponed indefinitely, this only means that our futures are again uncertain. :( i was hoping they would vote on it by july 7.

yeah...I was waiting for them to approve this Bill for a long time. But uncertainty kicks in again....I wish they approved it so I would not have sleepless nights

Members don't see this ad :)
Minor delays are expected, especially with the budget crisis in California. With the ease it went through the assembly, the wordings that suggest a minimum of two RTE chances, and the provision for sunset the amended bill satisfies the interests of all parties.

Further updates:

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 07/10/2003
LAST HIST. ACTION : Joint Rule 61(a)(9) suspended.
COMM. LOCATION : SEN BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS
HEARING DATE : 07/14/2003

I have no idea what 61(a)(9) is. It is not in the bill so I guess it is some kind of committee procedure.

- tengu3

Thanks tengu3,

I hope it does pass. Because I don't think I can afford 2 yrs of schooling....thanks for posting the latest information on this issue.

hey guys :
i am really confused i really do not what to do ..should i apply this year to colege once i get my scores...or should wait for the ...bench test to be extended???????????????????
kosha

i am in full support for AB 1467 because i could not really afford to go back to school... thanks for all of the information... Please keep on updating!:)

With all the problems we are facing in the state of Calofornia like the budget deficits, the governor getting kicked out of office etc.. I doubt the RTA extension will ever be looked into. If I were u folks closely following an extension, I would think this would only be looked into by the state congressmen after the above problems are resolved.

Lets wait and watch how it goes, but having said that, the people of California would loose more if there is no extension to the provision.