california dreamin'

Started by ambaduchi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ambaduchi

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi all,

just wondering if any of you are reapplicants who have gotten into a california allopathic school? or have any of you heard of people who have gotten into cali schools as reapplicants?

i'm applying this year but it looks like i'm not going to get in and so i'm starting to make plans for next year...but one of my problems is that i have family obligations in california. and i've never heard of successful cali reapplicants...but then again, i don't know much about re-apps generally. i probably have some tough choices ahead.

anyways, any california insight would be much appreciated.
 
I think if you've significantly changed your application since last time, you may have a chance at an allopathic school.
I looked up some AAMC stats on number of applicants by state, and CA has 4,800 some odd applicants as opposed to the next two, which were about 2500-2800. There's a lot of competition...
If California is really really where you want to be, there's always Touro and COMP for osteopathic choices.
 
I'm a reapplicant who got into a California med school this time around and several CA interviews. (I had NONE before) I improved my MCAT score and really dedicated 200% to making my AMCAS application & secondary applications PERFECT.

It is possible!! I know several people who have gone through this and got to stay in California. Best of luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Norcalgirl forgot to mention that the cali school she got into was UCSF.
 
I'm a reapplicant who had one interview the first time and not from a school in CA. This time around I was sent several CA secondaries and had interviews at two CA schools. Still waiting on the outcome of those but there is hope so have faith!
 
thanks for the input, it's definitely encouraging. and wow, congrats to norcalgirl! and good luck, cammy 🙂
 
hey- I am a re-applicant and I was just admitted to USC. It's not a state school, so I will pay more money, but I'm happy to be able to stay here!